Coefficients of drag, Cd -

In summary, the coefficient of drag, Cd, for a tennis ball can vary greatly due to surface conditions and is not a simple function of the Reynolds number. The equation for Cd found on Scienceworld Wolfram uses the size scale of the body, L, which is squared, but other sources use the silhouette area, A, which is not squared. The choice of reference area can vary and there is no easy relationship between Cd and Re for objects with non-smooth surfaces.
Bonulo
What is the coefficient of drag, Cd, of a tennis ball (roughly d = 6,5 cm, m = 57 g)?

Generally; where do I find such coefficients? I'd like to find coefficients for projectiles in water too - since these are supposedly not the same, because of the water viscosity. I've found the "Drag Coefficient" text on Scienceworld Wolfram, which apparently equals Cd to Re^(-1/2), where Re is the Reynolds number. But the equation from which the text gets Cd has L in it, the "size scale" of the body - which is squared. But in my equation there is no such scale, only the silhouette area A of the body, which isn't squared. Why this difference?

Also - the "length scale" l is in the Cd equation. What is it?

I'm quite puzzled. If the Cd can be found directly from a Reynolds number, which I'm not sure it can, could my problem then be solved?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reading Wolfram, it specifically quotes beside the use of the size scale of the body L to refer to (Tritton 1988, p. 93). The formula for drag is quite approximatish. From the text I'm familiar with as also found here http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/dragco.html

the L is instead an area A. The choice of this reference area A can vary.

In Wolfram, the Cd being directly a function of the Reynolds number is from successive approximation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cd for something like a tennis ball is going to vary greatly due to surface conditions. There are standard Cd values for smooth objects like a sphere, but in your case, they would be introducing more error into your calcuations.

From what I have seen, when there is a nice easy relationship like the one you stated for Re and Cd, that usually means there's a pretty healthy restriction on it's usage. For example, I have a source right here that says the Cd for a sphere is 24/Re. However, that is for Re<1. Probably not very helpful. The Cd is not going to be a nice straight line over a decent range of Re. I do have a chart for the Cd vs. Re of a smooth cylinder and sphere for Re going from 10^-1 to 10^7. I just don't have a way to post it. If you can provide an Re range, I can at least read off some values for you if you think that would help.

What is the definition of coefficient of drag (Cd)?

The coefficient of drag (Cd) is a dimensionless value that represents the resistance of an object moving through a fluid (such as air or water). It is a measure of how much the object slows down due to the force of drag.

How is Cd calculated?

Cd is calculated by dividing the drag force on an object by the product of the fluid density, the object's velocity, and the reference area of the object. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the drag force and the aforementioned parameters.

What factors affect the value of Cd?

The value of Cd is affected by the shape and size of the object, the properties of the fluid (such as density and viscosity), and the object's velocity. Roughness of the surface and flow conditions can also play a role in determining Cd.

Why is Cd important in aerodynamics and vehicle design?

In aerodynamics, the lower the value of Cd, the more streamlined and efficient an object is at moving through a fluid. This is important in vehicle design as a lower Cd can result in improved fuel efficiency and reduced drag. It is also a crucial factor in determining the maximum speed and performance of aircraft and race cars.

How is Cd used in wind tunnel testing?

Cd is an important parameter in wind tunnel testing, where models of objects are tested at various velocities to measure their aerodynamic properties. The value of Cd is used to compare different designs and to optimize the shape and size of objects for improved performance.