RC Circuit + Dependent Voltage Source

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the step-by-step method for solving circuits with inductors. The solution is assumed to have the form iL(t) = K1 + K2*e^(-t/tau) where K1 = iL(infinity) and K2 = iL(0+) - iL(infinity). The initial current iL(0-) is calculated using mesh analysis and is found to be 32/14 amps going clockwise. After the switch is opened, it is assumed that the inductor will act like a current source since the current through an inductor cannot change instantaneously. The conversation also discusses the voltage and current for different resistors in the circuit.
DefaultName

Homework Statement

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7747/picture2mg7.png

Homework Equations

iL(t) = current through inductor

Using The Step by Step Method:

Assume the solution iL(t) = K1 + K2*e^(-t/tau)
where K1 = iL(infinity) and K2 = iL(0+) - iL(infinity)

so, Assume the solution has the form:

iL(t) = iL(infinity) + [iL(0+) - iL(infinity]*e^(-t/tau)

Now, what I did was I calculated iL(0-) first... I replaced the inductor with a short circuit because we've assumed the SW has been held for a while.

So, we know that V1(t) = 6 V... I applied MESH ANALYSIS to the middle loop and to the right loop (both going clockwise) to find iL(0-).

Middle_Loop = 2A
Right_Loop = 2( iL(0-) - 2 ) + 12*iL(0-) = 30V... I get iL(0-) = 32/14 amps going CW

Is that right? If so, isn't it safe to assume that just after the switch is opened, for that one instant in time, the inductor will act like a current source since the current through an inductor CANNOT change instanteously.

So, I believe that you have to rewrite the circuit with the switch open and put a temporary current source in place of the inductor. After that, what do I do though? That's where I'm lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DefaultName said:

Homework Statement

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7747/picture2mg7.png

Homework Equations

iL(t) = current through inductor

Using The Step by Step Method:

Assume the solution iL(t) = K1 + K2*e^(-t/tau)
where K1 = iL(infinity) and K2 = iL(0+) - iL(infinity)

so, Assume the solution has the form:

iL(t) = iL(infinity) + [iL(0+) - iL(infinity]*e^(-t/tau)

Now, what I did was I calculated iL(0-) first... I replaced the inductor with a short circuit because we've assumed the SW has been held for a while.

So, we know that V1(t) = 6 V... I applied MESH ANALYSIS to the middle loop and to the right loop (both going clockwise) to find iL(0-).

Middle_Loop = 2A
Right_Loop = 2( iL(0-) - 2 ) + 12*iL(0-) = 30V... I get iL(0-) = 32/14 amps going CW

Is that right? If so, isn't it safe to assume that just after the switch is opened, for that one instant in time, the inductor will act like a current source since the current through an inductor CANNOT change instanteously.

So, I believe that you have to rewrite the circuit with the switch open and put a temporary current source in place of the inductor. After that, what do I do though? That's where I'm lost.

The voltage on the 2 ohm resistor is V1. So, the voltage on the 12 ohm resistor is V1 + 5 V1 = 6 V1.
The current through this resistor is 6V1/12 = 0.5 V1.
The current through the 2 ohm resistor is V1/2 = 0.5 V1.
The sum of the 2 currents is 2 A. So, [tex]i_L(0^-) = 1 A[/tex]
For T >0 there are 2 sources: the independent currnt source 2A and the controlled voltage source 5V1. The current [tex]i_L(0^+) = i_L(0^-) =1 A [/tex]is only an initial condition and is not taken in consideration in forming the differential equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
But for the middle 2k resistor, I get 3Amps. and for the iL, I get 6V1/12 = 3 amps... how does this make sense?

DefaultName said:
But for the middle 2k resistor, I get 3Amps. and for the iL, I get 6V1/12 = 3 amps... how does this make sense?
It makes sense when the switch is closed.
[tex]i_L(0^-) = i_L(0^+) = 6A[/tex].
The calculation I made before is valid for [tex]i_L(infinity)[/tex]

I got the ans, thx.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). The resistor limits the flow of current, while the capacitor stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field.

2. What is a dependent voltage source in an RC circuit?

A dependent voltage source is a voltage source whose output is dependent on a specific variable, such as the current or voltage in the circuit. In an RC circuit, a dependent voltage source can be used to model the changing voltage across the capacitor as it charges and discharges.

3. How does a dependent voltage source affect the behavior of an RC circuit?

The presence of a dependent voltage source changes the dynamics of the RC circuit. It can alter the time constant of the circuit, affect the amplitude of the output voltage, and introduce additional frequency-dependent behavior.

4. What is the time constant of an RC circuit with a dependent voltage source?

The time constant of an RC circuit with a dependent voltage source is determined by the values of the resistor and capacitor, as well as the parameters of the dependent voltage source. It represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to approximately 63% of its maximum voltage.

5. How does the voltage across the capacitor change over time in an RC circuit with a dependent voltage source?

The voltage across the capacitor in an RC circuit with a dependent voltage source changes over time according to the charging and discharging behavior of the capacitor. Initially, the voltage ramps up quickly, but then levels off as the capacitor reaches its maximum voltage. As the capacitor discharges, the voltage decreases until it reaches its minimum voltage.