Calculating Complex Apparent Power in a Sinusoidal Circuit

In summary, the power associated with the coil inductance in a sinusoidal circuit is QL = 3kVAr. The current and voltage phases are delayed by pi/2 behind the electricity generator. The complex current is IL = I1*(ZC1+R) - I2*ZC2.
Ivan Antunovic

Homework Statement

In sinusoidal circuit shown in Figure 13 is known : w =10^6 1/s, R = 100 Ohm ,
L = 300μH , C1 = 10nF and C2= 5nF . Reactive power of coil inductance L is QL = 3kVAr ,
RMS value of the voltage receiver impedance Z is UZ = 100 V , and the voltage UZ phase delaying behind
electricity generator Ig for pi / 2. Calculate the complex apparent power S of that generator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set current source at angle 0. Ig = Ig exp( j*0) = Ig
By compensation theorem , I replaced impendance Z with ideal voltage source Ek =Uz exp(-j*pi/2) = -j100 V
From QL = IL^2 * XL , I get IL = sqrt(QL/wL) = sqrt(10) A.
Using node voltage method
I get result from the picture.
The problem is that there are too many unknowns (2 equations and 3 unknowns) , well I got RMS value of IL but I still don't know it's angle.
I am pretty stuck at this point.

Attachments

• osnovi.JPG
    osnovi.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 340
  • osnovi2.png
    osnovi2.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 332
Physics news on Phys.org
If I may make a suggestion? Try mesh analysis. The loop with the current source ##I_g## is already "solved" since the mesh current will equal ##I_g##. So remove the loop (remove ##I_g##) and replace it with a suitable voltage source in each branch that that loop current passes through. Solve for the loop current through L. It will be in complex form. That will take of your missing angle for the current through the inductor.

upload_2016-4-8_19-7-6.png

Mesh analysis I got
Uz-Ig = I2*(ZC1 + R) - I1 *ZC1
Ig*ZC2 = -I1(ZL+ZC+ZC1)+I2*ZC2

and IL=I1=(UZ-ZC2*Ig)/ZL

After solving these equations I get that Ig = -j
and IL = UZL (-90) / ZL ( 90) => gives angle of -180 degrees therefore I got IL = -sqrt(10) in complex form
But as you can see from the picture I get really big I2 I am doing something wrong .

And UIg = Ig*ZC2 + I1 * ZC2 + Ig*R + I2 *R ?
osnovi3.jpg

Ivan Antunovic said:
Mesh analysis I got
Uz-Ig = I2*(ZC1 + R) - I1 *ZC1
Ig*ZC2 = -I1(ZL+ZC+ZC1)+I2*ZC2

and IL=I1=(UZ-ZC2*Ig)/ZL

After solving these equations I get that Ig = -j
and IL = UZL (-90) / ZL ( 90) => gives angle of -180 degrees therefore I got IL = -sqrt(10) in complex form
But as you can see from the picture I get really big I2 I am doing something wrong .

And UIg = Ig*ZC2 + I1 * ZC2 + Ig*R + I2 *R ?
osnovi3.jpg
In your first mesh equation on the left had side Ig should be multiplied by R. I'm not seeing how you arrived at your equation for IL.

Note that since Ig provides the phase angle reference, it should end up being a purely real value.

Why don't you drop in the actual impedance values for the components? The mesh equations should simplify quite a bit that way.
upload_2016-4-9_9-50-14.png

(Note that the polarity of the source in loop (1) has been reversed rather than write its value as -j200 Ig)

But I still don't know the current I1 ,and therefore I can't calculate Ig.I know that | I1 | = | IL | = sqrt(10) , but that seems kinda useless when those are complex equations.
osnovi4.png

screen cap

Taking your equation (2) and dividing though by -100:

##I_g + j = -j I_1 + (j - 1) I_2~~~~~~~~~~~##..(2')

Substitute (1) into (2'), solve for ##I_1##:

##I_g + j = -j I_1 + 2(j - 1) I_g##
##I_1 = -j(-3 I_g + 2j I_g - j)##
##I_1 = 2 I_g - 1 + j 3 I_g~~~~~~~~~~~~~##..(3)

That's a bit easier to work with.

The complex power associated with the inductor will be j3000 (units: VA). It will be given by the inductor voltage (##I_L Z_L##) multiplied by the complex conjugate of the inductor current. The inductor current is identical to ##I_1##. See if you can find ##I_g## by that route.

If I understood you well
osnovi_5.png

take a screenshot

Still I am getting wrong result , seems like I messed up again.

Okay it should be (EXPRESSION for current complex current IL) , IL * exp(j*fi) * IL * exp(-j*fi) ... not angle (180 - fi) , but that 's gives zero exp(j*fi -j*fi) , and I get sqrt(10) * 1 * sqrt(10) * 1 ---> IL = 10 and that doesn't make any sense .

##j 3000 = (I_1 Z_L)(I_1^*)##

So inserting (3) from post #6:

##j 3000 = \left[ (2 I_g - 1 + j 3 I_g)(j 300) \right] (2 I_g - 1 - j 3 I_g)##

Solve for ##I_g##. There should be two candidate values.

Likes Ivan Antunovic
Thank you I got the right answer now
osnovi_6.png

image sharing

By the way what angle should I put for theta at red equation.
And by what theorem did you replace current source Ig with Ig*ZC2 and Ig*ZC1 ?

Ivan Antunovic said:
By the way what angle should I put for theta at red equation.
And by what theorem did you replace current source Ig with Ig*ZC2 and Ig*ZC1 ?
For a complex conjugate you just negate the angle. That is, ##\left( I e^{j θ} \right)^* = I e^{-j θ}##

I'm not aware of any particular named theorem that prompts what I did to distribute the ##I_g## current supply as voltage sources. But it certainly obeys KVL and mesh analysis rules. If you left the current source loop in place and wrote the mesh equations for loops (1) and (2) you would be able to pick out the terms that correspond to the mesh current ##I_g## passing through the common branch impedances. These are the potential changes imposed by ##I_g## flowing through those impedances. Since ##I_g## is a given current quantity they correspond to voltage sources. So I suppose this is a version of the "compensation theorem" that you invoked in your first post..

gneill said:
For a complex conjugate you just negate the angle. That is, ##\left( I e^{j θ} \right)^* = I e^{-j θ}##

I'm not aware of any particular named theorem that prompts what I did to distribute the ##I_g## current supply as voltage sources. But it certainly obeys KVL and mesh analysis rules. If you left the current source loop in place and wrote the mesh equations for loops (1) and (2) you would be able to pick out the terms that correspond to the mesh current ##I_g## passing through the common branch impedances. These are the potential changes imposed by ##I_g## flowing through those impedances. Since ##I_g## is a given current quantity they correspond to voltage sources. So I suppose this is a version of the "compensation theorem" that you invoked in your first post..
Not sure if it's compensation theorem http://www.electrical4u.com/compensation-theorem/
, more like Norton - Thevenin ideal current / voltage source equivalent , will try to check it on some other networks and see if it works. I am really trying to remember all these rules from 'fundamentals of EE' , since I am not at 1st year anymore.
Also is there limitation for posting threads ? Because I am stuck with some other problems .

Ivan Antunovic said:
Also is there limitation for posting threads ? Because I am stuck with some other problems .
Nope, there are no restrictions on the number of threads you can start. If you have more than one or two going simultaneously make sure that you have enough time to pay attention to all of them at once.

What is complex apparent power in a sinusoidal circuit?

Complex apparent power is a measurement of the total power in a sinusoidal circuit, taking into account both the real (active) power and the reactive power. It is represented by a complex number and is calculated using the voltage and current in the circuit.

How is complex apparent power different from real power?

Real power is the actual power consumed by a circuit and is measured in watts. Complex apparent power takes into account both the real power and the reactive power, which is the power that oscillates between the source and load in a circuit. It is measured in volt-amperes (VA).

What is the formula for calculating complex apparent power?

The formula for calculating complex apparent power is S = VI*, where S is the complex apparent power, V is the RMS voltage, and I* is the complex conjugate of the RMS current. The complex conjugate is found by changing the sign of the imaginary component (j) in the current.

How do you represent complex apparent power on a graph?

Complex apparent power can be represented on a graph using a phasor diagram. The real power is represented by the horizontal component, while the reactive power is represented by the vertical component. The magnitude of the complex apparent power is represented by the length of the phasor, and the angle represents the phase difference between the voltage and current.

What is the significance of calculating complex apparent power in a sinusoidal circuit?

Calculating complex apparent power allows us to understand the total power being consumed in a circuit, including the reactive power which can affect the efficiency and stability of the circuit. It is also important in designing and troubleshooting circuits, as it helps to determine the appropriate size of components and identify any power factor issues.