Surface area of basket ball full of sand

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the approximate total surface area, in m2, of all the sand grains if the inside volume of a regulation NCAA basketball, with a radius of approximately 12 cm, were completely filled with sand grains of radius 25 μm. The suggested solution involves finding the volume of the basketball, the volume of a single grain of sand, and then multiplying the number of grains that would fit in the basketball by the surface area of a single grain.
JUSTaROCK

Homework Statement

A regulation NCAA basketball is a sphere of radius approximately 12 cm. Grains of Texas beach sand are
approximately spheres of radius 25 μm. If the inside volume of a basketball were completely filled with sand
(assume perfect packing with no empty space) what is the approximate total surface area, in m2, of all of the
sand grains?

Homework Equations

area of circle = pi(r)^2
surface area = 4pi(r)^2
volume = 4pi/3(r)^3
nanometers = 1/10^6 meters
centimeters = 1/10^2 meters

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve for this by finding the volume of the basketball then finding the surface area of a single grain. I then took the volume of the basket ball and divided it by the area of a single grain to see how many would fit, once i got that number i multiplied it by the surface area of one grain of sand for the total surface area. I made sure to convert all the units to their proper places and amounts but still no luck. Please help i have a final tomorrow and i can't figure this one out i have spent hours on it, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the volume of the basketball and the volume of a grain of sand, then find how many grains of sand would fit in if they were perfectly packed. Find the surface area of a single grain... missing the last step... good enough?

so your saying divide the volume of the basketball by the volume of a grain? then multiply that by the surface area of a grain?

Yep. Make sense?

Find how many grains of sand will fill the basketball (you need to find the volume of each). Find the surface area of a grain of sand. Multiply.

Thank you so much guys really appreciate it

What is the surface area of a basketball full of sand?

The surface area of a basketball full of sand can vary depending on the amount of sand used. However, on average, a basketball has a surface area of 4,251 square inches.

How is the surface area of a basketball full of sand calculated?

The surface area of a basketball full of sand is calculated by adding the surface area of the basketball itself (4,251 square inches) to the surface area of the sand. The surface area of the sand can be calculated by multiplying the height, width, and length of the basketball filled with sand.

Why is it important to know the surface area of a basketball full of sand?

Knowing the surface area of a basketball full of sand can be important for various reasons. For example, it can help in determining the amount of sand needed to fill a certain space or container. It can also be used in experiments or studies involving the properties of sand and its interaction with other objects.

Does the surface area of a basketball full of sand affect its weight?

Yes, the surface area of a basketball full of sand can affect its weight. Adding sand to a basketball increases its surface area, therefore increasing its weight. This is because the sand particles add mass to the basketball, making it heavier.

Is there a specific formula for calculating the surface area of a basketball full of sand?

Yes, the formula for calculating the surface area of a basketball full of sand is SA = (4πr^2)+(h×w×l), where SA is surface area, π is pi, r is the radius of the basketball, h is the height of the basketball, w is the width of the basketball, and l is the length of the basketball.