Interaction of an astronaut with the CMB flux

In summary: That would work if the astronaut were dead or in a vacuum.In summary, the astronaut's body is a perfect spherical absorber with a mass of 60 kg and a density of 1000 kg m-3. Using the formula for volume and assuming a spherical shape, the radius of the astronaut's body is found to be 0.242m. The surface area of the body can then be calculated using the formula for surface area. However, the equation for energy absorbed (E=σΤ^4) does not give the correct units for energy. The problem also mentions a specific heat capacity (c) and a heat transfer equation (Q=mCΔT) which may be relevant to finding the temperature change
astroYEEET
Homework Statement
Suppose the body of an astronaut is a perfect spherical absorber with mass 𝑚 = 60 kg and the average density and specific thermal conductivity are d = 1000 kg m-3 and 𝐶 = 4200 J kg-1 K-1
a) What is the approximate rate of energy absorption of the
astronaut due to cosmic microwave radiation (CMB)
The spectral energy distribution of CMB can be approximated by T(CMB) = 2,728 K
b) Approximately how many CMB photons per second will the astronaut absorb?
c) In how much time will CMB radiation increase the temperature of the astronaut by Δ𝑇 = 1 K?
Relevant Equations
E=σΤ^4 where c=5,67×10^−8 W/m^2K^4, Maximum frequency distribution h=3KT where K = 1.38x10^-23 j / K, Q = m 𝐶 ΔT where
Q the heat absorbed by a body of mass m causing an increase in its temperature by ΔΤ and 𝐶 constant of the material
From the density and the mass we can find the volume using d=m/v <=> v=0.06 m^3. Since we consider the astronaut a sphere we find his radius using V(sphere)=4/3*π*R^3 =>R=0.242m. Now we can calculate the surface area with the formula A=4πR^2=0.735m^2.
The energy absorbed will be i suppose equal to E=σΤ^4=3.14*10^-6 J.
Could you offer me any ideas and hints on how to continue the solution. Thanks in advance for your help. (If i have done something wrong please inform me)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

astroYEEET said:
Homework Statement:: Suppose the body of an astronaut is a perfect spherical absorber with mass 𝑚 = 60 kg and the average density and specific thermal conductivity are d = 1000 kg m-3 and 𝐶 = 4200 J kg-1 K-1
##c## is the specific heat capacity, not the thermal conductivity.

Relevant Equations::
E=σΤ^4 where c=5,67×10^−8 W/m^2K^4
Note that E here cannot represent energy. To see this, what are the overall dimensions (or units) of σΤ4?

Maximum frequency distribution h=3KT where K = 1.38x10^-23 j / K
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Does h represent Planck's constant? If so, the equation h = 3kT cannot be correct since the overall units for each side do not match.

Q = m 𝐶 ΔT where
Q the heat absorbed by a body of mass m causing an increase in its temperature by ΔΤ and 𝐶 constant of the material
Yes. Here, ##c## is the specific heat capacity of the material.

From the density and the mass we can find the volume using d=m/v <=> v=0.06 m^3. Since we consider the astronaut a sphere we find his radius using V(sphere)=4/3*π*R^3 =>R=0.242m. Now we can calculate the surface area with the formula A=4πR^2=0.735m^2.
Looks good (although I get A = .741 m2)

The energy absorbed will be i suppose equal to E=σΤ^4=3.14*10^-6 J.
As noted above, σΤ4 does not give energy.

Could you offer me any ideas and hints on how to continue the solution. Thanks in advance for your help. (If i have done something wrong please inform me)
Once you have the correct physical interpretation of σΤ4, you might see how to proceed. What are the overall units of σΤ4?

Likes astroYEEET
It looks like part (c) wants you to completely ignore any thermal radiation emitted by the astronaut's body. If the astronaut is alive, then he will emit much more radiant energy than he will absorb. So, his body would cool rather than heat up. But, I guess you are to assume that the only energy change of the body is due to CMB radiation absorbed.

Likes astroYEEET

1. What is the CMB flux?

The CMB flux, or cosmic microwave background flux, refers to the residual radiation from the Big Bang that fills the entire universe. It is the oldest light in the universe and is present in all directions.

2. How does an astronaut interact with the CMB flux?

An astronaut interacts with the CMB flux by absorbing and emitting radiation. As the astronaut moves through space, they will experience a change in the intensity and direction of the CMB flux due to their motion relative to it.

3. What effects does the CMB flux have on an astronaut?

The CMB flux has a negligible effect on an astronaut's health or equipment. However, it can be used as a reference point for navigation and orientation in space.

4. Can an astronaut use the CMB flux for communication?

No, the CMB flux is not suitable for communication as it is a form of background radiation and does not contain any useful information that can be transmitted or received.

5. How does the CMB flux affect space travel?

The CMB flux does not have a significant impact on space travel. However, it can be used for navigation and orientation, and its presence is an important factor to consider when studying the universe and its origins.