Why does neutral fluorine so reactive?

In summary: So, in summary, quantum mechanics offers a deeper explanation for why an electrically neutral fluorine atom needs to absorb an electron in order to become electrically unbalanced with a new -1 charge. The octet rule is a simplified explanation used in general chemistry, but quantum mechanics allows for the calculation of energy and explains why full orbitals are more stable due to minimizing the exchange interaction and achieving spherical symmetry. It is also important to note that most atoms, except for noble gases, have positive gas-phase electron affinities, meaning that acquiring an additional electron is an exothermic process. This is due to the fact that the nuclear charge of an atom with an incomplete electronic shell is not completely screened by the electron cloud, allowing for an attractive
idea2000
Hi,

I'm a novice at quantum and I was just wondering why an electrically neutral fluorine atom needs to absorb an electron to make itself electrically unbalanced with a new -1 charge? In our general chemistry class, the explanation was that the fluorine atom for some unexplained reason wants to complete it's valence octet even if it means ending up with more electrons than protons. I was wondering if quantum mechanics offers a deeper explanation other than just needing to complete its octet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum mechanics explains what the octet is and allows calculation of its energy. You will not get much further that that.

why an electrically neutral fluorine atom needs to absorb an electron to make itself electrically unbalanced with a new -1 charge?

If a flourine (or any other) atom completely gains an electron it is no longer an atom it is an ion.

Now flourine takes part in many electron sharing (covalent) bonding situations where overall electrical neutrality is preserved. The charge shift in this type of bonding is less.

When flourine does become an ion it either happens in solution where there are balancing charges nearby or it the ion has a very short life. You can't get a bottle of flourine ions under normal circumstances.

Studiot said:
When flourine does become an ion it either happens in solution where there are balancing charges nearby or it the ion has a very short life. You can't get a bottle of flourine ions under normal circumstances.

What about bottle of solid NaF? No solution, plenty of stable fluorine ions. And even not that expensive, I can get it for about $30 per kg (end user price for small quantity).

And there are no electrically balancing positive sodium ions in the bottle?

If you want to offer me a bottle of flourine ions , like I posted, that would be a different matter.

Studiot said:
If you want to offer me a bottle of flourine ions , like I posted

You have not stated they have to be isolated and there should be no counterions present :tongue2:

And your statement

Studiot said:
When flourine does become an ion it either happens in solution where there are balancing charges nearby or it the ion has a very short life.

is - as shown by solid ionic flurodies - incomplete.

There are several reasons for why full orbitals are more stable. The biggest one is that it minimizes the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_interaction" and leads to spherical symmetry.

It's counter-intuitive that an atom would 'voluntarily' go to a non-neutral charge, but it's important in this context to realize that the electrons are in motion,
and compensate by correlating that motion (i.e. "avoiding" each other), so the electrons don't experience the full charge the same way as if they'd been stationary.

Last edited by a moderator:
is - as shown by solid ionic flurodies - incomplete.

Yes of course it's incomplete. Idea has just stated that he or she is just starting quantum mechanics and asked the same question we asked when I was starting QM 45+ years ago.

I think it to be a worthwhile question which shows the student is thinking about different things that are said to him and trying to reconcile them.

Why could you not offer some words of helpful encouragement/explanation, rather than quibbling with my offering that did not directly bear on what you said?
ALXM managed to do just this.

My point was that it is unusual to find free isolated ions of flourine. They can be stable when they exist as part of an electrically balance whole.

Although I did not specifically mention them, solid ionic compounds are included in that description.

alxm said:
There are several reasons for why full orbitals are more stable. The biggest one is that it minimizes the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_interaction" and leads to spherical symmetry.

It's counter-intuitive that an atom would 'voluntarily' go to a non-neutral charge, but it's important in this context to realize that the electrons are in motion,
and compensate by correlating that motion (i.e. "avoiding" each other), so the electrons don't experience the full charge the same way as if they'd been stationary.

Well, it may be counter-intuitive, but that fact is that *most* atoms, not just fluorine, have positive gas-phase (i.e. in vacuo) electron affinities, meaning that acquiring an additional electron is actually an exothermic process across most of the periodic table, with the most notable exception being the noble gases.

I agree with your phenomenological explanation, however I would add the following. From the point of view of a free-electron, the nuclear charge of an atom with an incomplete electronic shell is not completely screened by the electron cloud. Thus the free-electron "feels" an attractive coulomb interaction with the formally neutral atom, and is able to lower the total energy of the system by forming an anion.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is fluorine the most reactive halogen?

Fluorine is the most reactive halogen because it has the highest electronegativity, meaning it has a strong attraction for electrons. This allows it to easily gain electrons and form bonds with other elements.

2. How does the small size of fluorine contribute to its reactivity?

The small size of fluorine atoms allows them to have a high surface area to volume ratio, making them highly reactive. This also means that the valence electrons of fluorine are closer to the nucleus, increasing the attraction for electrons.

3. What makes the bond between fluorine and other elements so strong?

The bond between fluorine and other elements is strong due to the high electronegativity of fluorine. It pulls electrons towards itself, creating a polar covalent bond that is difficult to break.

4. Why is neutral fluorine more reactive than fluorine ions?

Neutral fluorine is more reactive than fluorine ions because in its neutral state, it only needs to gain one more electron to achieve a stable octet. Fluorine ions, on the other hand, already have a complete outer shell and are less likely to participate in chemical reactions.

5. How does the reactivity of fluorine affect its uses in everyday life?

The high reactivity of fluorine makes it useful in many industrial processes, such as producing refrigerants and pesticides. It is also commonly used in toothpaste and water fluoridation to improve dental health. However, its reactivity also means that it must be handled with caution and proper safety measures in place.