Learn Calculus from Beginner to MIT Level

In summary, start over at Elementary Algebra and work upwards. You can do most or all of this on your own. Don't be skimpy in the relearning process. Try hard to understand. Do in this order or nearly this order: Elementary Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, then either "Precalculus" or "College Algebra". Now you would be ready for single variable Calculus (Calculus 1).
arjen1984
Hello all,

Lets say I want to start all over again learning calculus from beginning till the level I can start on MIT. What books should I buy to get to know all the knowledge to start on MIT?

I hope someone can give me tips on this.

Arjen

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you at intermediate algebra and how is your basic trigonometry knowledge?

lets just say its all very beginners level

In that case, start over at Elementary Algebra and work upwards. You can do most or all of this on your own. Don't be skimpy in the relearning process. Try hard to understand. Do in this order or nearly this order: Elementary Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, then either "Precalculus" or "College Algebra". Now you would be ready for single variable Calculus (Calculus 1).

Know that some people like to skip the College Algebra, or even skip the "Precalculus". About how good doing is for advice, unclear.

yes, this is what i knew already, but I want a book recommandation. You know what books are good for this learning, so pls tell me what books you recommend.

arjen1984 said:
yes, this is what i knew already, but I want a book recommandation. You know what books are good for this learning, so pls tell me what books you recommend.

Some good authors of Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 to look for are: Lial' Lial & Miller; Wright & New; Aufmann & Barker; Drooyan; Perez & Weltman, ..., others I can't remember. Old books, like 30 years old, are very often just as good as newer ones.

For Precalculus, Trignometry, and College Algebra, you can add to the list above, Larson & Hostetler; or Larson, Hostetler & Edwards.

You might find great books by other authors, also.

Khan Academy!

kinof said:
Khan Academy!

x2

You can Khan Academy your way up from zero math knowledge to pre-calculus in a short period of time. It's good for Calculus I too, but you should also use some other sources there, like a textbook. Same thing with trigonometry, you might want to get a book or use another source.

An important thing is practice. You have to find problems and practice them. If you can find a syllabus that has homework problems from a good book you should be golden. Just google search for Classname + .edu

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is divided into two main branches: differential calculus which focuses on the rate of change of a function, and integral calculus which deals with the accumulation of quantities over a region.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It provides a powerful tool for understanding and describing complex systems and phenomena in the real world. It is also the foundation for many advanced mathematical concepts and theories.

3. Can anyone learn Calculus?

Yes, anyone can learn Calculus with dedication and practice. It is a challenging subject, but with patience and determination, anyone can grasp its concepts and techniques.

4. What are the prerequisites for learning Calculus?

A strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is essential for learning Calculus. It is also helpful to have some understanding of basic geometry and functions. Prior knowledge of pre-calculus topics such as limits and derivatives can also be beneficial.

5. How can this course help me reach MIT level in Calculus?

This course is designed to cover all the fundamental concepts and techniques of Calculus, from the basics to advanced topics. It follows the same curriculum as the Calculus courses taught at MIT, and provides comprehensive explanations, examples, and practice problems to help you reach MIT level proficiency in the subject.