Finding the time evolution of a state

Then, use the expectation value formula to find the expectation values of <Sy> and <Sz> as a function of time. In summary, using the given Hamiltonian and energies, you can find the time evolution of a state with an initial condition of ψ(0) = (1, 0) and also determine the expectation values <Sy> and <Sz> as a function of time.
Kyrios

Homework Statement

1) Using energies and eigenstates that I've worked out, find time evolution ψ(t) of a state that has an initial condition ψ(0) = [tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
0\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

2) Find the expectation values < Sy> and <Sz> as a function of time.

Homework Equations

The Hamiltonian is [tex] H = \alpha (B_x S_x + B_y S_y + B_z S_z) [/tex]

The energies that I worked out were the eigenvalues:

[tex]\lambda_1= \frac{ \alpha \hbar B_x }{2}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda_2= - \frac{ \alpha \hbar B_x }{2}[/tex]

The eigenstates were the eigenvectors
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
1\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
-1\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the time evolution operator
[tex] U(t)= exp( \frac{ -i H t}{\hbar} ) [/tex]

I ended up with something that looks like this:

[tex]\psi(t) = A exp( \frac{ -i \alpha B_x t}{2} ) (1, 1) + B exp( \frac{ i \alpha B_x t}{2} ) (1, -1) [/tex]

But I'm really unsure of where to go from here, or whether this is even right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just check if your answer satisfies the inital condition and determine the constants A and B from normalization.

Related to Finding the time evolution of a state

1. How do you determine the time evolution of a state?

The time evolution of a state refers to the changes that occur in a system over time. To determine this, scientists use mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics, to describe how the state of a system changes over time.

2. What factors influence the time evolution of a state?

The time evolution of a state can be influenced by various factors, such as external forces, interactions with other systems, and the initial conditions of the system. These factors can affect the state of the system and how it changes over time.

3. Can you predict the exact time evolution of a state?

While mathematical equations can accurately describe the time evolution of a state, it is not always possible to predict the exact future state of a system. This is due to the inherent uncertainty and complexity of many natural systems.

4. How is the time evolution of a state used in scientific research?

The time evolution of a state is a fundamental concept in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is often used to study and understand the behavior of complex systems, make predictions about future states, and design experiments to test theories.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the concept of time evolution of a state?

Yes, the concept of time evolution of a state has many real-world applications. For example, it is used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing, and in understanding and predicting natural phenomena, such as the behavior of weather systems and the spread of diseases.