Finding unitary operator associated with a given Hamiltonian

In summary, the equation for the unitary operator in the Hamiltonian is easy to compute provided the Hamiltonian is diagonalized.
ubergewehr273
Homework Statement
Given a Hamiltonian ##H = \hbar \omega \sigma_1##, you are supposed to find the associated time-evolution unitary operator ##U(t)##.
Relevant Equations
Time-independent Schrodinger's equation

$$-i \hbar \frac{\partial | \psi (t) \rangle}{\partial t} = \hat{H} | \psi (t) \rangle$$

The associated unitary operator is

$$U(t) = \exp (\frac{-i \hat{H} t}{\hbar})$$
Now from the relevant equations,
$$U(t) = \exp(-i \omega \sigma_1 t)$$

which is easy to compute provided the Hamiltonian is diagonalized. Writing ##\sigma_1## in its eigenbasis, we get

$$\sigma_1 =
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1\\
\end{pmatrix}
$$

and hence the unitary ##U(t)## becomes

$$U(t) =
\begin{pmatrix}
e^{-i \omega t} & 0\\
0 & e^{i \omega t}\\
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Mind you that the above representation of $U(t)$ is in the basis ##\{ |+\rangle, |-\rangle\}## where

$$ |+\rangle =
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
1\\
\end{pmatrix}
$$

$$ |-\rangle =
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
-1\\
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Now, I need to write ##U(t)## back in the original basis ##\{|0\rangle, |1\rangle\}## (which is where I'm facing an issue). Finding the components of the above expression for ##U(t)## in the original basis,

$$\langle 0 | U(t) | 0 \rangle = e^{-i \omega t} \qquad \langle 1 | U(t) | 1 \rangle = e^{i \omega t}$$

with ##\langle 0 | U(t) | 1 \rangle = 0## and ##\langle 1 | U(t) | 0 \rangle = 0##. This gives me the exact same matrix representation in the original basis. Obviously this is not true and I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For inline Latex you need to use double hashes rather than single dollars.

ubergewehr273 said:
Finding the components of the above expression for ##U(t)## in the original basis,

$$\langle 0 | U(t) | 0 \rangle = e^{-i \omega t} \qquad \langle 1 | U(t) | 1 \rangle = e^{i \omega t}$$

with ##\langle 0 | U(t) | 1 \rangle = 0## and ##\langle 1 | U(t) | 0 \rangle = 0##. This gives me the exact same matrix representation in the original basis. Obviously this is not true and I'm doing something wrong.
You'll have to show your work, for instance ##\langle 0 | U(t) | 0 \rangle##, because the result you get is incorrect.

You can write your solution in terms of
$$\hat{U}=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t) |+ \rangle \langle +| + \exp(\mathrm{i} \omega t) |- \rangle \langle -|.$$
Now simply express ##|+ \rangle## and ##|- \rangle## as linear combinations of ##|1 \rangle## and ##|0 \rangle## and multiply out the dyadic products. Then you can read out the matrix elements easily.

A much easier way is to directly use the properties of the Pauli matrix. All you need is ##\hat{\sigma}_1^2=1## and then write down the power series for the exponential function.

1. What is a unitary operator?

A unitary operator is a type of linear operator in quantum mechanics that preserves the inner product of a vector space. In other words, it is a transformation that does not change the length or angle of a vector. In quantum mechanics, unitary operators are important because they represent the evolution of a quantum system over time.

2. How is a unitary operator associated with a Hamiltonian?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a quantum system. The unitary operator associated with a given Hamiltonian is the one that describes the time evolution of the system according to the Schrödinger equation. This operator is often denoted as U(t) and is given by the exponential of the Hamiltonian multiplied by the imaginary unit i.

3. What is the significance of finding the unitary operator associated with a given Hamiltonian?

Finding the unitary operator associated with a given Hamiltonian is important because it allows us to predict the future state of a quantum system. By applying this operator to the initial state of the system, we can determine how the system will evolve over time. This is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How is the unitary operator associated with a given Hamiltonian calculated?

The unitary operator associated with a given Hamiltonian is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a differential equation that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator and using them to construct the unitary operator.

5. Can any Hamiltonian have a unitary operator associated with it?

Yes, any Hamiltonian can have a unitary operator associated with it. However, the calculation of this operator may be difficult or even impossible for some Hamiltonians. In these cases, approximations or numerical methods may be used to find an approximate unitary operator that describes the time evolution of the system.