Calculating new velocity from velocity and momentum? Confusing

In summary, the conversation is about a new person, Sam, seeking help with an online homework problem involving a skater with a mass of 85kg and initial velocity of <3,1,0> m/s at t=3.2s. The problem asks for the new velocity at t=3.7s after the change in momentum at a rate of <0, 170, 0> kg m/s^2. The classical equation p=mv is recommended to be used, since the velocity is non-relativistic. The notation <..,...,...> represents a vector in 3D space, where the x and z components of momentum do not change, while the y component changes at a rate of
lovesam
Hiya! Sam here,...and I'm new. I need help with this online homework problem. To be honeset, I have no idea where to even begin. I've tried the momentum equation where mass times velocity times a proportionality factor gamma, and I think it's the wrong start. Please help??

Question: A skater with a mass of 85kg is moving with a velocity of <3,1,0> m/s at t=3.2 s. If their momentum changes at a rate of <0, 170, 0> kg m/s^2 until t=3.7s, what is their new velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can use this equation...

[itex]\dot{p}=m\frac{\Delta v}{t}=ma[/itex]

lovesam said:
Hiya! Sam here,...and I'm new. I need help with this online homework problem. To be honeset, I have no idea where to even begin. I've tried the momentum equation where mass times velocity times a proportionality factor gamma, and I think it's the wrong start. Please help??

Question: A skater with a mass of 85kg is moving with a velocity of <3,1,0> m/s at t=3.2 s. If their momentum changes at a rate of <0, 170, 0> kg m/s^2 until t=3.7s, what is their new velocity?

p=γmv is appropriate for relativistic velocities, this is clearly not the case here so you can use the classical form p=mv. It wouldn't be wrong to use the former eqn but γ would just be 1.

Can you write what 'If their momentum changes at a rate of <0, 170, 0> kg m/s^2' means mathematically?

CAF123 said:
p=γmv is appropriate for relativistic velocities, this is clearly not the case here so you can use the classical form p=mv. It wouldn't be wrong to use the former eqn but γ would just be 1.

Can you write what 'If their momentum changes at a rate of <0, 170, 0> kg m/s^2' means mathematically?

Thank you! I'll try what you have given me.
Unfortunately, I do no quite understand what you mean in your question...:confused:

lovesam said:
Thank you! I'll try what you have given me.
Unfortunately, I do no quite understand what you mean in your question...:confused:

Do you understand the notation <..,...,...>? It is a vector in 3D space, so here the entries represent x, y and z directions. The rate of change of momentum in x and z directions are zero, while that in y is non zero:$$\frac{dp_x}{dt}= \frac{dp_z}{dt}= 0\,\,\,\text{while}\,\,\,\frac{dp_y}{dt} = 170$$ You can use the last equation to get eqn for momentum in y between the two times given.

1. What is the formula for calculating new velocity from velocity and momentum?

The formula for calculating new velocity from velocity and momentum is v = p/m, where v represents the new velocity, p represents the momentum, and m represents the mass of the object.

2. How do I calculate the momentum of an object?

The momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass (m) by its velocity (v). This can be represented by the equation p = m * v.

3. Can new velocity be calculated without knowing the mass of an object?

No, the mass of an object is a crucial factor in calculating new velocity from velocity and momentum. Without knowing the mass, the calculation cannot be completed accurately.

4. Is momentum always conserved when calculating new velocity?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that when calculating new velocity from velocity and momentum, the total momentum before and after the event should be equal.

5. Can new velocity be negative?

Yes, new velocity can be negative if the direction of the object's motion changes after the event. This can happen if the object experiences a collision or an external force alters its trajectory.