Experimental Verification of Fermion Gravitation: Do Electrons Feel Gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the experimental verification that electrons feel gravity, which is demonstrated by the fact that the hydrogen atom weighs more than the hydrogen ion. The conversation also mentions Bosonic ions falling in cold cavity experiments and the possibility of detecting the charge of a material through its weight. The topic of Fermions and Bosons is also brought up, with the clarification that the title "gravitation on fermions" was a mistake and should have been "gravitation on leptons." The conversation ends with a request to change the title and a comment on the lack of experiments testing if electrons fall like other matter.
jostpuur
Has it been experimentally verified, that electrons feel gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The fact that the hydrogen atom weighs more that the hydrogen ion shows this.

Some atoms/ions are Fermions, some are Bosons, and they all seem to fall. Bosonic ions are abserved to fall in cold cavity experiments.

For some reason I thought that it would be impossible to detect a charge of some material by its weight (judging by intuition), but in fact I never did check this with any calculations.

What are typical charges that we can handle?

The electrons weight about 6*10^(-4) times the weight of protons, so if (in a hypothetical case) all electrons could be sucked out of some material, sure it would be showing on a weight scale. But I have no idea what kind of ratios of electrons and protons we are talking about in reality, when charging some material.

Mentz114 said:
Some atoms/ions are Fermions, some are Bosons, and they all seem to fall.

The title "gravitation on fermions" was poorly put... in fact it was a mistake. I should have said "gravitation on leptons". Anyway, I'm interested in electrons and nucleus mostly.

Yes. It was a big mistake! Surely I wasn't thinking about a possibility of odd number of fermions switching the gravity off! I was thinking about the way how the common leptons are very light, and how the heavier ones appear only in fast particle collisions. And I forgot that the heavy quarks are fermions too... I don't know why I confused concepts "fermions" and "leptons"...

I wouldn't mind if some mentor would change the title (please). It probably wouldn't confuse the thread, since this response to Mentz144's comment would explain it.

Last edited:
Hi jost,
I guess I should have tried to answer your question not your title. I think electron accelerator designers and CRT designers would know whether electrons fell like other matter (?). But I've not heard of an experiment to test this. There is no reason to suppose not.

M

Related to Experimental Verification of Fermion Gravitation: Do Electrons Feel Gravity?

1. What are fermions?

Fermions are particles that have half-integer spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. They are one of the two main types of particles in the Standard Model of particle physics, the other being bosons.

2. How does gravitation affect fermions?

Gravitation affects fermions in the same way it affects all other matter - by exerting a force on them based on their mass. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects create a curvature in the fabric of spacetime, and this curvature causes all objects to move towards each other.

3. Can fermions experience the effects of gravity differently?

Yes, fermions can experience the effects of gravity differently based on their mass and energy. For example, more massive fermions will experience a stronger gravitational force than less massive ones. Additionally, fermions with a higher energy level may have a different gravitational interaction compared to those with a lower energy level.

4. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence apply to fermions and gravitation?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence, famously expressed by Einstein's equation E=mc2, plays a crucial role in understanding the effects of gravitation on fermions. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, and as fermions have mass, they can also be affected by gravity through their energy.

5. Can gravitation affect the spin of fermions?

No, gravitation does not directly affect the spin of fermions. However, the spin of fermions can indirectly influence their gravitational interaction through their mass and energy. Additionally, the spin of fermions can be affected by other forces, such as the electromagnetic force, which can also be influenced by gravity.