Learning about other experimental areas of physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced by a researcher in exploring experimental setups in other fields, and the potential solutions such as review papers, attending seminars, and conferences. It also highlights the importance of establishing contacts within the scientific community to facilitate this process.
BillKet
Hello! My research is mainly in atomic and molecular physics but from time to time I come across nice experimental setups, that show promise for my work, from other fields, like chemistry or even high energy physics. I was wondering if there is a more organized way to explore experimental setups in other fields, other than just stumbling over them by accident (or talking to someone working on that by accident). Maybe some review papers of experimental setups or something like this? I feel like there is lots of overlap with different fields that we just don't know about and sometimes spend a lot of time trying to figure our something that has been done already

Likes gleem and Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org
Not an easy task, especially if you want to focus on experimental technologies. https://journals.aps.org/rmp/abouthttps://journals.aps.org/rmp/about might be helpful if only in pointing to other literature.

Attending departmental seminars might also be helpful, especially in departments other than your own. Conference attendance can also be an excellent way to expand one's exposure if that is an option for you. Conferences can also be a good way to establish contacts within the community.

Likes BvU

1. What are the benefits of learning about other experimental areas of physics?

Learning about other experimental areas of physics can expand your knowledge and understanding of the natural world. It can also provide new perspectives and approaches to problem-solving, as well as potential collaboration opportunities with scientists from different fields.

2. How can I begin learning about other experimental areas of physics?

One way to start is by attending lectures, seminars, or workshops on different topics within physics. You can also read scientific papers or books on different experimental areas, or reach out to experts in those fields for guidance and advice.

3. Are there any specific experimental areas of physics that I should focus on?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. However, some popular and highly researched areas include astrophysics, quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics.

4. Can learning about other experimental areas of physics benefit my current research?

Absolutely. Learning about other experimental areas can provide new insights and techniques that can enhance your current research. It can also help you identify potential interdisciplinary connections and collaborations.

5. How can I balance learning about other experimental areas of physics with my own research?

It is important to prioritize your own research while also making time to explore other areas of physics. Setting aside a specific amount of time each week or month for learning about other experimental areas can help you maintain a balance. Additionally, finding ways to incorporate your new knowledge into your own research can make the learning process more efficient.