Bounded Open Subset as Open Intervals

In summary: I appreciate your input.In summary, the problem with the proof using equivalence classes is that it removes an uncountably infinite amount of points one-by-one, which seems dubious to the author.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Prove the any bounded open subset of R is the union of disjoint open intervals.

The attempt at a solution
I've seen a proof of this using equivalence classes, which is fine, but I want an unsophisticated solution, e.g. one relying on just the definitions of "bounded", "open" and some properties of the reals. I have an approache in mind, but I don't think it works:

Let S be a bounded open subset of R. Then S is contained in contained in some open interval (-M, M). If we remove a point x from (-M, M), we get a disjoint union of open intervals, namley (-M, x) union (x, M). If we remove another point, we still get a disjoint union of open intervals. Thus, if we remove all the points of (-M, M) - S from (-M, M), which leaves S, we obtain S as the disjoint union of open intervals. The problem with this approach is that I'm removing an uncountably infinite amount of points one by one, which seems like a dubious process to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the open interval (-1,2). Remove all of the points which are not in [0,1], 'one-by-one'. You wind up with [0,1] a closed interval. In fact, you can turn (-1,2) into ANY of it's subsets by doing that. No, removing an uncountable number of points 'one-by-one' isn't a very good idea. Your argument works fine for the removal of any finite number of points. But what makes you think the limit set is much like the finite steps? What's so 'sophisticated' about equivalence classes?

Dick said:
But what makes you think the limit set is much like the finite steps?
It's the best argument I could think of and I had some hope it could somehow be made to work.

What's so 'sophisticated' about equivalence classes?
Nothing much really. I just want to solve this without them if it is possible.

The argument is that the complement of the open set S in a closed interval is closed (call it C). If x is in the open set then the open interval between the limits defined by sup{y:y<x and y in C} and inf{y:y>x and y in C} is contained in S. To show they can be chosen disjoint, I don't see any way around some kind of an 'equivalence class' type argument. Two points will lead to the same open interval if they are contained in the same open interval.

Yeah...I came up with another approach similar to yours which has an 'equivalence class' flavor to it. Anywho, thanks a lot.

What is a bounded open subset?

A bounded open subset is a subset of a larger set that is limited by a specific range or interval. It is open, meaning that the boundaries of the subset are not included in the set itself.

How is a bounded open subset represented?

A bounded open subset is typically represented using open intervals, which are expressed as (a, b) where a and b are real numbers. The set includes all values between a and b, but not a and b themselves.

What is the difference between a bounded open subset and a closed subset?

A closed subset includes its boundaries, while a bounded open subset does not. This means that a closed subset contains all of its limit points, while a bounded open subset does not.

Can a bounded open subset have an infinite number of elements?

Yes, a bounded open subset can have an infinite number of elements as long as it remains within the specified range or interval. This is in contrast to a finite set, which has a limited number of elements.

How is a bounded open subset used in mathematical analysis?

Bounded open subsets are used in mathematical analysis to define and work with continuous functions. They provide a way to describe a set of points in a larger set without including the boundaries, allowing for more precise calculations and proofs.