How Do Significant Figures Reflect Measurement Uncertainty?

In summary, the uncertainty in the measurements is affected by the number of significant figures in the input number.
balboa
When certain quantities are measured, the measured values are known only to within limits of the experimental uncertainty!

It's here where significant figures comes on scene.

Let us assume that the accuracy to which we can measure the length is +-0.1 cm. If we measured it to be 16.2 cm, there are three significant figures, but if we measure it to be 4.4 cm there are two. The uncertainty is same, but the number of significant figures is not. Why?

Also if we can measure something to be 0.00003 m and something else to be 0.03 m the uncertainty is much greater in the last measurement, but both numbers have only 1 significant figure. Can anyone explain this to me?

thank you for every reply!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi balboa! welcome to pf! :smile:

are we talking about input or output?

usually, we are given (or we measure) certain input numbers, from which we make a calculation to get an output number …

eg we measure m L and T and we calculate g …

we look at the significant figures in the input numbers, and use those to decide how many sig figs we should put in the output number …

in your example, if the input number was 16.2, that's 3 sig figs, so we probably use 3 sig figs in the output; if it was 4.4, we probably use 2 sig figs (and if it was 1998.2, we'd probably use 5 sig figs) :wink:

so as I understood the sig figs have nothing to do with how much we are certain about measures!

in my example those were input values, and I thought that sig figs have something with how certain those values are, but it seems they just show us how to calculate with them

thanks for your explanation and nice welcome to pf! :cool:

It does have to do with the uncertainty of the measurements.

If you have 16.2, then you really have some value between 16.16 and 16.25 inclusive. If you have 4.4, then you really have some value between 4.36 and 4.45 inclusive.

16.2 * 4.4 = 71.28

However, your value could really be as high as 72.3 or as low as 70.5. So your final answer should be 71, realizing that that could mean anywhere from 70 to 72. Obviously, an imperfect solution, but it at least better reflects the uncertainties than giving an answer that implies you have a better idea of the actual value than you really do.

For addition, you could (and do) get away with just keeping the smallest significant digit since:

16.2 + 4.4 = 20.6, but your real answer could be as high as 20.7 and as low as 20.5. Your final answer has an uncertainty of only plus or minus 0.1

If you use these results in further operations, your margin of error just keeps getting bigger, so it's best to just keep in mind that your last significant digit may not be very accurate. Then again, the more steps in your operations, the more likely it is that the highs cancel out the lows and the chances of your final answer being at the extreme edge of your error margin is pretty low.

BobG said:
It does have to do with the uncertainty of the measurements

thnx BobG, but what about this:

• 4.4 has two sig figs and 16.2 has three sig fig (different number of sig figs but same uncertainty <plus or minus 0.1>)

• both 0.03 and 0.0000003 have only 1 sig fig (same number of sig figs but different uncertainty)

This was my point when I was posting the thread.

There are two different concepts: absolute and relative uncertainty. 100 +/- 1 and 10 +/- 1 have the same absolute uncertainty, but different relative uncertainties: you know the first number to 1% of its magnitude and the second number to only 10%.

Don't pay too much attention to sig figs, they are faulty by design.

ok, I think I've got a point, thank you all for help :)

1. What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are the digits in a number that carry meaning and contribute to its precision. They are important because they help to indicate the accuracy and reliability of a measurement or calculation.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a given number?

The number of significant figures in a number is determined by counting all the digits from the first non-zero digit on the left to the last non-zero digit on the right. All non-zero digits and zeros between non-zero digits are considered significant figures.

3. What is the rule for rounding numbers using significant figures?

The general rule for rounding numbers using significant figures is to round to the same number of significant figures as the least precise number in the calculation. If the least precise number has more significant figures than the desired number of significant figures, then round to the desired number of significant figures.

4. Can I use significant figures when multiplying or dividing numbers?

Yes, when multiplying or dividing numbers, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the least number of significant figures. This means that you may need to round your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures.

5. What should I do if the last significant figure is a 5 when rounding?

In cases where the last significant figure is a 5 when rounding, there are two rules that can be followed. The first rule is to round to the nearest even number, also known as the "banker's rounding" method. The second rule is to round up if the preceding digit is odd and round down if the preceding digit is even.