Modeling climate with rigid bodies

In summary, the conversation discusses using a physics engine to generate an approximate climate on a planet based on various parameters. The speaker expresses doubts about the effectiveness of their program and the difficulty of climate modeling. They also mention the involvement of supercomputers and the complexity of the task.
dwnielsen
Okay, please don't ask me why I would want to do the following; I'll try to explain..

I am writing a program and already have a module for computing 2D rigid-body and spring-mass (with only 32-bit integers, no less) which I've modified from Box2DLite.

Now, for my application, I would like to be able to generate an approximate climate on a somewhat Earthlike planet based on various parameters such as axis tilt, distance from star, minor/major radius of planet, terrain map, amount of water, composition of atmosphere, etc. In fact, it would be very nice if I could run this as an animated system, watching the weather change across a globe. This doesn't need to be accurate - just needs to look believable.

Would the physics engine I have be of good use somehow, or would I be much better off starting with another model? I'd much prefer to use my present program components to the best of their ability rather than add mass too my program. I'm no physicist - needing some direction. Should I just throw in the towel before I run too far down this rabbit hole?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not physicist either, but from what I hear, climate modeling remains very difficult to use in order to have guaranteed predictive capabilities. Also, I know supercomputers tend to be involved in climate modeling, and considering all the factors you're trying to work with, I would guess a lot of horsepower would be involved.
As for whether your program would be of use, I have to express doubt, considering how many professionals are currently working on such things, and considering (I would guess) that there are a hundred more factors missing from your model. I hope everything ends well.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of modeling climate with rigid bodies?

The purpose of modeling climate with rigid bodies is to understand how changes in the Earth's physical systems, such as land and ocean surfaces, impact climate patterns. By using rigid bodies, scientists can simulate the movement and interactions of these systems to better predict future climate trends.

What are rigid bodies in the context of climate modeling?

In the context of climate modeling, rigid bodies refer to solid objects with a defined shape and size that do not deform under external forces. These can include land masses, ocean basins, and ice sheets, which play a crucial role in shaping the Earth's climate.

What data is necessary for modeling climate with rigid bodies?

Data on various physical attributes such as temperature, precipitation, wind patterns, and ocean currents is necessary for modeling climate with rigid bodies. This data is collected from various sources, including satellites, weather stations, and ocean buoys, and is used to create accurate simulations of the Earth's physical systems.

How is modeling climate with rigid bodies different from other climate modeling methods?

Modeling climate with rigid bodies differs from other methods because it focuses on the movement and interactions of physical systems, rather than just atmospheric changes. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of how the Earth's physical systems influence climate patterns.

What are the limitations of modeling climate with rigid bodies?

One limitation of modeling climate with rigid bodies is that it does not take into account the complexities of biological systems and their impact on climate. Additionally, these models are also limited by the quality and availability of data, as well as the assumptions and simplifications made by scientists in their simulations.