Classical version of QM axioms

In summary, the person is looking for more information on the axiomatic treatment of physics, specifically the classical version of the Dirac-Von Neumann axioms. They have found articles on the quantum mechanics version, but are having trouble finding information on the classical version. They also mention that philosophers have attempted to axiomatize physics, but this is not the information they are looking for. They request help finding more information and apologize for not finding it on their own.
Logic Cloud
Hello,

I am looking for more information on the axiomatic treatment of physics. I have found some articles concerning the axioms of quantum mechanics, i.e. the Dirac-Von Neumann axioms. However, I am having a hard time finding anything on the classical version of these axioms. In these axioms, observables are represented by random variables, for instance. There also seem to be numerous attemps of philosphers to axiomatise physics, but these seem to distinct from the particular axiomatisation I am searching for. Can someone help me find some more information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Logic Cloud said:
Hello,

I am looking for more information on the axiomatic treatment of physics. I have found some articles concerning the axioms of quantum mechanics, i.e. the Dirac-Von Neumann axioms. However, I am having a hard time finding anything on the classical version of these axioms. In these axioms, observables are represented by random variables, for instance. There also seem to be numerous attemps of philosphers to axiomatise physics, but these seem to distinct from the particular axiomatisation I am searching for. Can someone help me find some more information?

Hell lot of information here:

https://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&tbo...56,d.bmk&fp=6918368d471197b7&biw=1024&bih=653

Professor google is useful sort of thing.

My apologies, I had of course googled it but it seems I overlooked the classical content of some of the links. Many thanks.

1. What are the main axioms of the classical version of quantum mechanics?

The main axioms of the classical version of quantum mechanics are the superposition principle, the wave function, the measurement postulate, and the uncertainty principle.

2. How does the superposition principle work in the classical version of quantum mechanics?

The superposition principle states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. In the classical version of quantum mechanics, this means that the wave function, which describes the probability of finding the system in a particular state, can have multiple values at the same time.

3. What is the wave function in the classical version of quantum mechanics?

The wave function is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system and how it evolves over time. In the classical version of quantum mechanics, it represents the probability of finding a system in a particular state.

4. How does the measurement postulate work in the classical version of quantum mechanics?

The measurement postulate states that when a measurement is made on a quantum system, the system will collapse into one of its possible states with a probability determined by the wave function. In the classical version of quantum mechanics, this means that the measurement will determine the actual state of the system at that moment.

5. What is the uncertainty principle in the classical version of quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. In the classical version of quantum mechanics, this means that there will always be a level of uncertainty in our measurements and predictions of a system's behavior.