Where can I find classic papers in physics?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers
In summary, the 1904 publication of the Lorentz transformations can be found here, and the other papers may be found in books of collected papers that can be ordered.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

I am looking for some assistance finding classic papers in physics. Specifically I am trying to track down Lorentz' paper of 1899 in which he first published the Lorentz transformations, and I am also trying to find Schrodinger's original papers in QM. I have An undulatory theory of the mechanics of atoms and molecules, and I'm looking for the other 3. If they aren't on the web anywhere, then I would like to know if they are in books of collected papers that I can order.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. I have that paper in the Dover book called "The Principle of Relativity". But it's always nice to have an electronic copy for those occaisions when you are discussing the paper with someone who doesn't have it.

Classic physics papers reference here

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/c.html

Specifically several by Hendrick Lorentz, including -
[26] H. A. Lorentz, "Théorie simplifiée des phenomènes electriques et optiques dans des corps en mouvement", Proc. Roy. Acad. Amsterdam I 427 (1899) in French.

From FAQ's in Physics
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/

======================================

Jackpot! Eureka!

Lorentz, H.A., Simplified Theory of Electrical and Optical Phenomena in Moving Systems, in: KNAW, Proceedings, 1, 1898-1899, Amsterdam, 1899, pp. 427-442
http://www.knaw.nl/cfdata/digital_library/output/proceedings/search/detail.cfm?pubid=209&view=image&startrow=1

---------------------------

This place is a gold mine!
http://www.knaw.nl/cfdata/digital_library/output/proceedings/proc_browse.cfm?procid=150

http://www.knaw.nl/cfdata/digital_library/output/proceedings/index.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious how copyright affects these old papers.

In the case of these papers, it is Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen (KNAW), who would own the copyright, and they are publishing the papers in the public domain.

One would have to find the copyright law then to determine the duration. I would expect EU copyright law covers current papers.

I suggest contacting the library of congress if all else fails.

When the holder of the copyright publishes the papers to the web, then there's no problem. Anywho, thanks Astronuc for tracking down that paper for me.

There was a link that ZapperZ posted a while back regarding (I think) the centennial of The Physical Review. They posted to the web something like the 100 most important papers in the history of the Journal. Does anyone know about that?

Tom Mattson said:
When the holder of the copyright publishes the papers to the web, then there's no problem. Anywho, thanks Astronuc for tracking down that paper for me.

There was a link that ZapperZ posted a while back regarding (I think) the centennial of The Physical Review. They posted to the web something like the 100 most important papers in the history of the Journal. Does anyone know about that?

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, that site is no longer in operation.

Should have sucked in those papers while they were available. :)

Zz.

Astronuc said:
In the case of these papers, it is Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen (KNAW), who would own the copyright, and they are publishing the papers in the public domain.

One would have to find the copyright law then to determine the duration. I would expect EU copyright law covers current papers.

Thanks for the info.

What is the importance of finding classic papers?

Finding classic papers is important for scientists because it allows them to understand the history and evolution of a particular field of study. Classic papers often lay the foundation for current research and provide valuable insights and perspectives.

How can I find classic papers?

There are several ways to find classic papers, such as searching through academic databases, using citation indexes, and consulting with experts in the field. It is also helpful to attend conferences and workshops where classic papers may be discussed and recommended.

What criteria should I use to define a classic paper?

The definition of a classic paper can vary, but some criteria to consider include the impact and influence of the paper, the number of citations it has received, and its relevance to current research in the field. It is also important to consider the historical significance and lasting impact of the paper.

Why is it important to read classic papers even if they are outdated?

Although classic papers may be outdated in terms of their methods or technology, they often contain valuable insights and ideas that can still be applied to current research. Additionally, understanding the historical context of a classic paper can provide a better understanding of the current state of the field.

How can I incorporate classic papers into my own research?

One way to incorporate classic papers into your research is to cite them in your own work and discuss their relevance to your current research. You can also use classic papers as a starting point for your own research, building upon their ideas or methods. Additionally, you can use classic papers as a reference to support your own findings.