Real & Imaginary parts of a finite product

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of a finite product and the general formula for it. It also explores when the terms in the expansion will be real and how to write the product in polar form. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of finding the real and imaginary parts of infinite products and provides examples of infinite products for sine and cosine functions. The conversation concludes with a question about finding the formula for the real and imaginary parts of an arbitrary convergent infinite product in terms of an infinite product.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
So I'm trying to work-out the real and imaginary parts of a finite product, put

[tex]P_n = \prod_{k=1}^{n} \left( x_k + iy_k\right)[/tex]

where the x's and y's are real numbers like you would expect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what is the general formula for expanding that product? And when are the terms going to be real? I know I'm just restating your question, but if you can answer each of those question you can do this. So where have you got to?

If you can write them in polar form it may be much neater. Do you know anything specific about the x's and y's? Of course a general version will be possible, just icky.

NOTE: I will edit this post in some time, but I have got the pattern all mixed-up in my head right now and must then come back to this later.

I cut my post short on account of something more important, allow me to continue: I have considered the first several expansions of [tex]P_n[/tex] for small n, I have noticed that the each term in the expansion contains exactly n factors, and that, alternately, the terms of the real and imaginary parts in the expansion of the product contain only an even or an odd number of x's or y's according as n even or n odd. The last sentence is complicated for me to write (and is almost certianly wrong,) but, perhaps, some examples will make up for that

[tex]P_1 = \prod_{k=1}^{1} \left( x_k + iy_k\right)= x_1 + iy_1[/tex]

the real part: [tex]\Re P_1 = x_1[/tex] contains only terms having an odd number of x's and an even number of y's (I speak not of the oddness nor the evenness of the subscripts, but rather that there is one (odd) x and zero (even) y's

vice-versa for the imaginary part

[tex]P_2 = \prod_{k=1}^{2} \left( x_k + iy_k\right)= x_1x_2-y_1y_2 + i(x_1y_2+x_2y_1)[/tex]

the real part: [tex]\Re P_2 = x_1x_2-y_1y_2 [/tex] contains only terms having an even number of x's and an even number of y's

I intend to try to relate the pattern I fail to describe above to the symmetric polynomials, and get some sort of combinatorial closed form for the real and imaginary parts.

Try polar form

Try polar form? Let [tex]z_k=r_{k}e^{i\theta_k},[/tex] where [tex]r_k:=|z_k| \mbox{ and } \theta_k:=\mbox{Arg } z_{k}[/tex] so that

[tex]P_n = \prod_{k=1}^{n} z_k = \prod_{k=1}^{n} r_{k}e^{i\theta_k} = \left(\prod_{k=1}^{n} r_{k} \right) e^{i\sum_{j=1}^{n}\theta_j}[/tex]

let us put [tex]r:=\prod_{k=1}^{n} r_{k}\mbox{ and } \theta:=\sum_{j=1}^{n}\theta_j[/tex] so that we have

[tex]P_n =re^{i\theta} = r(\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta})[/tex]

and hence [tex]\Re{P_n} = r\cos{\theta}\mbox{ and } \Im{P_n} = r\sin{\theta}[/tex]

there is some considerations to be had presently, firstly (and without trouble,) we have

[tex]r = \prod_{k=1}^{n} r_{k} = \prod_{k=1}^{n} |z_{k}| = \prod_{k=1}^{n} \sqrt{x_{k}^{2}+y_{k}^{2}} = \sqrt{ \prod_{k=1}^{n} \left( x_{k}^{2}+y_{k}^{2}\right) }[/tex]

and here is the trouble,

[tex] \theta = \sum_{j=1}^{n}\theta_j = \sum_{j=1}^{n}\mbox{Arg } z_{j} \neq \mbox{Arg } \left( \prod_{j=1}^{n} z_{j}\right) [/tex]

where I have put [tex]\neq[/tex] since we have that pesky brach-cut structure to worry about, since

[tex]\mbox{Arg } \left( z_{1}z_{2}\right) = \mbox{Arg } z_1 + \mbox{Arg } z_2 + 2\pi i \cdot\mbox{floor}\left(\frac{\pi - \mbox{Arg } z_1 - \mbox{Arg } z_2 }{2\pi}\right)[/tex]

how does this generalize? Above, floor() is the floor function (a.k.a. the greatest integer function.)

Last edited:
Heck with it, close enough is: there exists an integer k such that

[tex] \theta = \sum_{j=1}^{n}\mbox{Arg } z_{j} = \mbox{Arg } \left( \prod_{j=1}^{n} z_{j}\right) +k\pi i[/tex]

How do I translate these back into x's and y's ?

Last edited:
There's no reason to be concerned with the Arg of the product. When you take the cos and sin to find the real and imaginary parts this is irrelevant.

The downside here is that in terms of x and y you have the cos or sin of a sum of arctan's. Whether this is more or less desirable than a hideous sum is up to you. Either way is not going to be too nice with a general batch of z's.

Of course you've probably noticed how much cleaner it is if you started in polar form, these are much more natural coordinates for complex multiplication.

Re & I am parts of infinite products

I am also considering finding the Re & I am parts of infinite products, (as they interest me.) For example, we know that for all complex [itex]z:=x+iy[/itex] the following hold:

[tex]\sin {z} = z\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left( 1-\frac{z^2}{k^2\pi ^2}\right) [/tex]

[tex]\mbox{sinh} {z} = z\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left( 1+\frac{z^2}{k^2\pi ^2}\right) [/tex]

[tex]\cos {z} = \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left( 1-\frac{4z^2}{(2k-1)^2\pi ^2}\right) [/tex]

[tex]\mbox{cosh} {z} = \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left( 1+\frac{4z^2}{(2k-1)^2\pi ^2}\right) [/tex]

and from

[tex]\sin (x+iy) = \sin (x)\mbox{cosh}(y)+i\cos (x)\mbox{sinh}(y)[/tex]

we have, for example

[tex]\Re \sin {(x+iy)} = \Re \left[ (x+iy)\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left( 1-\frac{(x+iy)^2}{k^2\pi ^2}\right) \right] = x\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left[ \left( 1-\frac{x^2}{k^2\pi ^2}\right) \left( 1+\frac{4y^2}{(2k-1)^2\pi ^2}\right)\right] = \sin (x)\mbox{cosh}(y)[/tex]

the I am part is similar...

What is the formula for the Re & I am parts of an arbitrary convergent infinite product in terms of an infinite product?

Last edited:

FAQ: Real & Imaginary parts of a finite product

1. What are the real and imaginary parts of a finite product?

The real and imaginary parts of a finite product refer to the components that make up a complex number. A complex number is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you find the real and imaginary parts of a finite product?

To find the real and imaginary parts of a finite product, you can use the distributive property to separate the real and imaginary terms. Then, you can use the identities i^2 = -1 and i^3 = -i to simplify the imaginary terms.

3. What is the significance of the real and imaginary parts in a finite product?

The real and imaginary parts in a finite product have different meanings and applications. The real part represents the horizontal component of the complex number, while the imaginary part represents the vertical component. These parts are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the real and imaginary parts of a finite product be equal to zero?

Yes, it is possible for the real and imaginary parts of a finite product to be equal to zero. This would result in a real number, as the imaginary component would cancel out. In this case, the complex number would simply be represented as a single real number.

5. How are the real and imaginary parts of a finite product used in mathematics?

The real and imaginary parts of a finite product are used in various mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of complex numbers. They are also used in solving equations, graphing complex numbers, and understanding the behavior of functions involving complex numbers.

Back