Direct Products of Rings and Ideals .... Bland Problem 2(c)

• Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, Peter attempted to solve a problem from a homework set, but needed help from others to do so. He provides a summary of the content and then asks for help with the proof.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am reading Paul E. Bland's book: Rings and Their Modules and am currently focused on Section 2.1 Direct Products and Direct Sums ... ...

I need someone to check my solution to Problem 2(c) of Problem Set 2.1 ...

Problem 2(c) of Problem Set 2.1 reads as follows:
Blnad - Problem 2 - Problem Set 2.1 ... ....png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution follows:We claim that ##\bigoplus_\Delta R_\alpha## is a right ideal of ##\prod_\Delta R_\alpha##Proof ...Let ##(x_\alpha ) , (y_\alpha ) \in \bigoplus_\Delta R_\alpha## and let ##(r_\alpha ) \in \prod_\Delta R_\alpha##Then ##(x_\alpha ) + (y_\alpha ) = (x_\alpha + y_\alpha )##... by the rule of addition in direct products ...Now ... ##x_\alpha + y_\alpha \in R_\alpha## for all ## \alpha \in \Delta## ... by closure of addition in rings ...Thus ##(x_\alpha + y_\alpha ) \in \prod_\Delta R_\alpha## ...... but also ... since ##(x_\alpha )## and ##(y_\alpha )## each have only a finite number of non-zero components ...

... we have that ##(x_\alpha + y_\alpha )## has only a finite number of non-zero components ...

... so ...##(x_\alpha + y_\alpha ) \in \bigoplus_\Delta R_\alpha##..

Hence ##(x_\alpha ) + (y_\alpha ) \in \bigoplus_\Delta R_\alpha ## ... ... ... ... ... (1)
Now we also have that ...##(x_\alpha ) (r_\alpha ) = (x_\alpha r_\alpha)## ... ... rule of multiplication in a direct product ...

Now ... ##x_\alpha r_\alpha \in R_\alpha## for all ##\alpha \in \Delta## ... since a ring is closed under multiplication ...

and ...

##(x_\alpha r_\alpha)## has only a finite number of non-zero components since ##(x_\alpha )##] has only a finite number of non-zero components ...

So ... ##(x_\alpha r_\alpha) \in \bigoplus_\Delta R_\alpha##

##\Longrightarrow (x_\alpha) (r_\alpha) \in \bigoplus_\Delta R_\alpha## ... ... ... ... ... (2)
##(1) (2) \Longrightarrow \bigoplus_\Delta R_\alpha## is a right ideal of ##\prod_\Delta R_\alpha##
Can someone please critique my proof ... ... and either confirm its correctness or point out the errors and shortcomings ...

Such help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Blnad - Problem 2 - Problem Set 2.1 ... ....png
    Blnad - Problem 2 - Problem Set 2.1 ... ....png
    11.5 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
The proof looks sound. My only comment is that in (2) you have used the fact that in a ring, 0.r = 0 for any element r. That is a theorem, not a ring axiom, so should be stated rather than implicitly assumed. It would be over the top to prove it every time one uses it, but everybody should prove it once in their life, or read a proof of it.

Likes Math Amateur
Hi Andrew ... thanks for the confirmation...

Also thanks for the point regarding 0.r = 0 ... I definitely missed that ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Hi Andrew ... thanks for the confirmation...

Also thanks for the point regarding 0.r = 0 ... I definitely missed that ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter
Here are the steps for this, which @andrewkirk mentioned: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(Algebra)#Folgerungen
I suggest to try it on your own first and then look up the solution. It is the wrong language, but the words in this paragraph are so similar, that it doesn't matter.

1. What is a direct product of rings and ideals?

A direct product of rings and ideals is a mathematical construction that combines two or more rings and their corresponding ideals to form a new ring and ideal structure. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of multiple rings and ideals at once.

2. What is the difference between a direct product and a direct sum of rings and ideals?

While a direct product combines the structures of multiple rings and ideals, a direct sum simply adds them together. This means that the elements in a direct sum can be written as finite sums of elements from each of the individual rings and ideals, whereas a direct product allows for more general combinations.

3. How is a direct product of rings and ideals useful in mathematics?

A direct product allows for the study and analysis of multiple rings and ideals at once, making it a powerful tool in understanding their properties and relationships. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, number theory, and geometry.

4. Can a direct product of rings and ideals be infinite?

Yes, a direct product can be infinite. In fact, it is often used to construct infinite structures by combining infinitely many smaller structures. However, in some cases, it may be more convenient to work with finite direct products.

5. What is the Bland Problem 2(c) related to direct products of rings and ideals?

The Bland Problem 2(c) is a specific problem in the theory of direct products of rings and ideals, which asks whether a certain condition holds for all direct products. It is related to the study of when a direct product of rings and ideals is isomorphic to another direct product, and has applications in understanding the structure of direct products and their properties.