Questions about IMEC's PhD Admissions for Non-EER Countries

• Thread starter Undisciplined
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person considering a PhD in physics and finding IMEC's PhD topics impressive. They have a masters in physics and took the GRE general. They are wondering if they need to take a pre-doctoral exam if they apply from a non EER country. Another person explains that EER stands for "Europese Economische Ruimte" and includes all EU countries, including Hungary.
Undisciplined
Hi all,

I was thinking about continuing my studies in physics. I read through the docs about IMEC's PhD topics and I found the list quite impressive and interesting. I have masters in physics and I took the GRE general, so I guess I fulfill some of the requirements... (Well, at least according to my papers :smile: )
I also read that an applicant from a non EER country should take a pre-doctoral exam. It may sound silly, but I have no clue what EER means. I graduated in Hungary and don't know whether I have to take a pre-doctoral exam if I apply for a PhD.

Please if there is anyone here who know anything about this EER stuff, help me.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
EER is the abbreviation of "Europese Economische Ruimte" in Dutch which is the EEA (European Economic Area) in English. Basically it includes all the countries in the European Union (so Hungary is in it) and Iceland and Norway.

Thank you for your answer, yoran!

I've been searching for this abbreviation for like weeks, but I haven't thought of it beeing a Dutch one :). Thanks

1. What is IMEC's PhD admissions process for non-EER countries?

The admissions process for non-EER countries at IMEC varies depending on the specific program and country of origin. Generally, it involves submitting an online application, providing academic transcripts and letters of recommendation, and taking part in an interview process. It is important to check the specific requirements for your country and program of interest on IMEC's website.

2. Can non-EER students apply for scholarships at IMEC?

Yes, non-EER students are eligible to apply for scholarships at IMEC. However, the availability and eligibility criteria for these scholarships may vary depending on the program and country of origin. It is best to check with the admissions office or the program you are interested in for more information.

3. Is there a language requirement for non-EER students?

Yes, non-EER students are required to demonstrate proficiency in English. This can be done through English language proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. Some programs may also accept other forms of proof of English proficiency, so it is important to check the specific requirements for your program of interest.

4. Are there any additional requirements for non-EER students?

In addition to the standard admissions requirements, non-EER students may also be required to obtain a student visa and/or residence permit in order to study at IMEC. The specific requirements for this will depend on your country of origin and the duration of your program. It is important to check with the admissions office or the program you are interested in for more information.

5. What is the deadline for applying to IMEC's PhD programs for non-EER students?

The application deadline for non-EER students may vary depending on the program and country of origin. Generally, it is recommended to apply at least 6-12 months in advance to allow for sufficient time for visa and travel arrangements. It is important to check the specific deadline for your program of interest on IMEC's website.