Anyone else quickly forget material when the class is over?

In summary, the person is an engineering undergrad who consistently gets top grades in their courses but struggles with retaining the material. They have noticed that they often need to consult the text for problems from previous courses and wonders if other students or professionals also experience this. They are also curious about the importance of remembering material in the engineering field. The person believes that repeated exposure to the material is necessary to remember it, and notes that they have an easier time remembering biology facts after only reading them once.
bchandler
I am an engineering undergrad, and always get top grades in my courses, but find myself quickly forgetting the material soon after moving on to new courses. For example, on our first Calc III exam, I forgot how to integrate a very basic function for the integration of a vector function. Likewise, I found Chem I and II very interesting, but probably couldn't do any of the problems I learned in the class without consulting the text (though I do remember much of the conceptual stuff).

I'm just wondering if the other students, or employed professionals out there remember their material better than I do. Or does everyone need to consult the text to do a problem from a previous course like I do? I have heard very few engineers ever use the mathematics they learn in school; needing to know only basic concepts. But for some reason I would just like to be one who could bust out a pencil and be able to do a complicated problem on memory alone, like I read about all the great engineers/physicists in history doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to see it on about three different occasions to really remember things - for most of my math classes, although I loved them and worked hard, I tend to forget proofs of important theorems and such. I feel the same about modern physics. I think everyone just has to review until the information is second nature. Don't worry, there is a point where you've seen it enough to never forget it!

A lot of random biology facts are just second nature to me after only reading them once. It depends of focus, I guess.

1. How common is it for people to quickly forget material after a class?

According to studies, it is quite common for individuals to forget material shortly after a class. This is because the brain is constantly processing new information and prioritizing what it deems as important, leading to the forgetting of less relevant information.

2. Can this issue be attributed to a lack of attention or focus during class?

While distractions and lack of focus can contribute to forgetting material, it is not the sole cause. The brain's natural process of filtering and organizing information plays a significant role in forgetting material after a class.

3. Are there any strategies or techniques that can help prevent forgetting material after a class?

Yes, there are several effective strategies that can help improve retention of material after a class. These include regular review and practice, using mnemonic devices, and actively engaging with the material during class.

4. Is there a difference in how quickly individuals forget material based on the subject or type of class?

Yes, research has shown that individuals may forget material at different rates depending on the subject or type of class. For example, information that is more complex or abstract may be more difficult to retain compared to concrete information.

5. Can forgetting material after a class impact academic performance?

Yes, forgetting material after a class can certainly impact academic performance. It can make it harder to understand and apply new concepts, leading to lower grades. Regular review and practice can help mitigate the effects of forgetting material.