Need help troubleshooting a laser

In summary: I tested it on 4.5 and 6 volts. Maybe it screwed it up even more :/In summary, the laser is dim, the current sensing resistor values are different on different current measuring ranges, and the laser diode may be damaged.
Krb686
I bought a red <5mW laser from thinkgeek.com, and it takes 2 AAA batteries. I took it apart though, took off the momentary pushbutton switch and soldered in a wire because i need to solder on a constant on/off switch at some point but I have noticed the laser is not acting how it was before. The laser is extremely dim, and I tested the circuit and it reads about 3 volts. (Should it be 3.3?) But I am using AA batteries also and not AAA, though I thought this wouldn't make a difference as they produce the same voltage.

One other thing, I don't know how much current it *should* draw, but I measured it anyways, and got some strange readings. On the 10A setting, it reads as 0.02, so 20 mA, and then I switch it to 200mA setting and it reads as 0.2. Now correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't it go up to 20 instead of .2 since the units changed? Also, as I go down further to 20 mA, then 2mA, and so on, the reading goes to 0, which makes no sense whatsoever. Do you think my multimeter is wrong or am I using it wrong?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Krb686 said:
I bought a red <5mW laser from thinkgeek.com, and it takes 2 AAA batteries. I took it apart though, took off the momentary pushbutton switch and soldered in a wire because i need to solder on a constant on/off switch at some point but I have noticed the laser is not acting how it was before. The laser is extremely dim, and I tested the circuit and it reads about 3 volts. (Should it be 3.3?) But I am using AA batteries also and not AAA, though I thought this wouldn't make a difference as they produce the same voltage.

One other thing, I don't know how much current it *should* draw, but I measured it anyways, and got some strange readings. On the 10A setting, it reads as 0.02, so 20 mA, and then I switch it to 200mA setting and it reads as 0.2. Now correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't it go up to 20 instead of .2 since the units changed? Also, as I go down further to 20 mA, then 2mA, and so on, the reading goes to 0, which makes no sense whatsoever. Do you think my multimeter is wrong or am I using it wrong?

When you use a DMM in current measuring mode, it inserts a resistance in series with the circuit, and measures the voltage across that resistance to calculate the current. On the 10A setting, it uses a pretty small resistance, so it won't interfere with your circuit much. As you change to more and more sensitive settings, it's using a pretty big resistor in series, and that will alter the circuit, and decrrease the current that flows through your laser diode.

If you have a 2nd DMM, you can measure what the current sensing resistor values are in your first meter. You can also measure the voltage across your laser diode as you switch the first meter to different current measuring ranges.

So that might explain the variation with current meter setting. Is the laser diode still dim with no meter in series at all? If so, it's not the size of the batteries (AA versus AAA). Check all your connections to be sure that they are good (solder joints, battery contact springs, etc. I'm not sure what else might be different. Any chance that the laser diode got hot during your soldering? LEDs don't like to get heated too much during soldering...

Yeah I just tested it again it's pretty dim without the multimeter in the circuit, and the batteries read 3.03 volts. I don't know if it's standard laser design but on the tiny pcb end sticking out, there is a really really small chip that says OEE I think on it. The negative terminal runs through this chip, and the positive terminal is the gold plating on the outside of the diode.

The stock laser simply had the two AAA batteries in the casing with the negative touching a gold contact at the bottom, which ran up the sides of the case and onto the plating. I don't know if any of that makes a difference.

I'm not sure if the diode was heated during soldering.

Even more voltage doesn't increase the brightness, I tested it on 4.5 and 6 volts. Maybe it screwed it up even more :/

Did you touch the laser diode in the laser pointer? It could be that the laser diode is damaged due to a static discharge.

See also here:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/slfarchv/laser110.htm#LDINFO_003

Also, when you shine the laser on the wall, do you still see speckles?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle_pattern
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle

If you don't see the speckles the laser diode is damaged. Do you have an optical spectrometer (maybe you have a friend in an optics lab)?

Are you sure that the push-button switch is a switch only and does not have a resistor or some type of startup circuitry. Lasers are sensitive and it's not a good idea to power them with a simple "noisy" switch because it can cause transients that damage the laser. It's just a guess but if you didn't damage it with static (are you in a dry climate?) then you may have killed it with a voltage transient which was caused when you inserted the batteries directly connected to a laser with no debounce circuitry. (if the debounce circuitry was still in place after your rewiring then this comment is not relevant)

The use of AA instead of AAA should have been no problem at all, by the way.

Also, using 4.5 V and 6 V was not a good idea unless you thoroughly understand the circuitry. It might be fine to do this, or it might not, depending on the circuitry.

1. How do I troubleshoot a laser that won't turn on?

The first step is to check the power source and make sure it is properly connected. If the power source is fine, then check the laser's fuse and replace it if necessary. If those steps don't work, there may be an issue with the wiring or internal components of the laser.

2. Why is my laser producing a weak or dim beam?

This could be due to a variety of reasons. First, make sure the power source is providing enough voltage to the laser. If that is not the issue, then the laser's optics may need to be cleaned or realigned. You can also try replacing the laser's batteries or checking for any damage to the laser's diode.

3. How can I fix a laser that is producing an inconsistent beam?

Inconsistent beams are usually caused by an issue with the laser's optics. Check to see if there is any debris or dirt on the lens or mirrors and clean them if necessary. If the optics are clean, then the laser may need to be realigned or there could be an issue with the laser's diode.

4. My laser is overheating, what should I do?

First, make sure the laser is not being used for an extended period of time. If the laser is overheating during normal use, then there may be an issue with the cooling system. Check the cooling fans and make sure they are functioning properly. You can also try reducing the power output of the laser to prevent overheating.

5. What should I do if my laser is emitting a different color than it should?

If your laser is emitting a different color than it is supposed to, there may be a problem with the laser's diode. Check to see if the diode is damaged or if it needs to be replaced. If the diode is fine, then there may be an issue with the laser's optical components and they may need to be realigned or replaced.