Voltage/current output controller?

In summary, the speaker has decided to stop watching YouTube videos and start experimenting with electromagnetics. They only have basic materials like magnet wire, magnets, iron rods, and a multimeter, but they are looking for a power source that can be controlled with knobs and plug into an outlet. They are still in high school and don't have much knowledge about advanced equipment. A suggestion is to buy a cheap DC power supply, such as the one found on Amazon, which will also teach the speaker how to solder and fix it if it breaks.
Modest
So I've decided to finally stop watching youtube videos and start experimenting with electromagnetics. I'm just going to start off with some different gauges of magnet wire, some magnets and iron rods, and a multimeter, but my problem is my power source. Is there anything that I can just plug into an outlet that allows me to control the output voltage and current with some knobs and stuff? Just something basic, I'm still in high school and I don't know a lot about all the fancy stuff but I really want to start doing some experiments.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can buy some cheap and basic DC power supplies.

I don't know what your budget is, but I quickly found this one pretty cheap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002D0ROO/?tag=pfamazon01-20 It will teach you how to solder in the process, and if you break it you will know how to fix it.

Of course, if you invest more, you will be able to do more things.

Last edited:

1. What is a voltage/current output controller?

A voltage/current output controller is a device used to regulate the output voltage or current of a power supply. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to ensure that the desired voltage or current is consistently delivered to the circuit components.

2. How does a voltage/current output controller work?

A voltage/current output controller works by using a feedback mechanism to compare the output voltage or current to a desired setpoint. It then adjusts the power supply accordingly to maintain a stable output.

3. What are the different types of voltage/current output controllers?

There are several types of voltage/current output controllers, including linear controllers, switching controllers, and pulse width modulation (PWM) controllers. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best choice depends on the specific application.

4. What are the benefits of using a voltage/current output controller?

Using a voltage/current output controller allows for precise control over the output voltage or current, ensuring that the circuit operates safely and efficiently. It also helps to protect sensitive components from damage and can extend the lifespan of the power supply.

5. How do I choose the right voltage/current output controller for my project?

The best way to choose the right voltage/current output controller is to consider the specific requirements of your project, such as the desired output voltage or current, the type of load being driven, and any other necessary features. It is also helpful to consult with an experienced engineer or refer to manufacturer specifications for guidance.