Beginner circuits / ↓ the voltage & ↑ the efficiency

SCHROEDERFPM
TL;DR Summary
Hi.

So I'm beginning to teach myself the basics and I'm working on a motorised lamp made from two camera lenses taken apart and assembled together.

I'm looking for help with wiring the motor and led together, and how to best set up my circuit.

(Mind you, I have literally just begun and have basically no clue what I'm doing but I'm making strides, so please as much detail as you would like to share would be helpful)
So far this is what I have:
I have the power source, two triple in a battery case, negative to the T emitter, T output to the (-) of motor, T base through a resistor to the switch, switch to the (+) of motor.

I tried wiring the Led to this junction and the switch, but either the motor or the switch works not both simultaneously.
I tried wiring them parallel but I'm having some of the same issues, that or the led just stays on all the time or needs a seperate switch so I'm doing something wrong.

The second thing I'm working on is another lamp thing but with a fan inside, and this uses a 15v 3a wall input. For this one I tried to follow a blueprint for a system using two transistors to manage higher voltage as I'm just using a small cal and maybe one led in this.
This is a bit more out of my experience but I'll post a photo and any advice would be helpful.
(This is not connected yet just trying to figure out how to wire it.)

Attachments

• received_1020601072329896.jpeg
    received_1020601072329896.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 31
Engineering news on Phys.org
SCHROEDERFPM said:
I have the power source, two triple in a battery case, negative to the T emitter, T output to the (-) of motor, T base through a resistor to the switch, switch to the (+) of motor.
Sorry, but this verbal description is a poor substitute for a schematic. I could draw it myself (maybe), but I'd rather YOU do it for YOUR problem.

You simply can't do electronics well if you can't draw simple schematics. You also won't get as much help if you make us do the grunt work for you.

SCHROEDERFPM said:
The second thing I'm working on...
Should probably be a second thread.

DaveE said:
This is my reference for the second one, although I'm not sure my layout is perfect and I'm missing a diode,.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 28
SCHROEDERFPM said:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231220_211727.jpg
    Screenshot_20231220_211727.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 26
SCHROEDERFPM said:
Are all electrical engineers nasty people?
Mentor note: the post that contained the quote above has been deleted for violating forum rules.
No. They just appear that way to beginners, some of whom think that engineers must be mind readers. We can be quite good at guessing sometimes.

The language of electronics, is the schematic circuit diagram.
A clear picture is worth a thousand words.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_symbol

Regarding the big, black, three-terminal components, in post #4, what are their full part numbers?
Please give us a web link to the source of the circuit(s) you are building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes SCHROEDERFPM
Baluncore said:
Three terminal components

Attachments

• 17030777732456395255031759372469.jpg
    17030777732456395255031759372469.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 32
some advice (per your request):
Get an introductory book. Read it. You are literally trying to have a conversation in a language that you don't speak.

Likes DaveE, phinds and SCHROEDERFPM
The picture you show has two NPN power transistors, marked D2394. They are part number 2SD2394, as a "2S" prefix is assumed on bipolar transistors numbered in the Asian series.
https://z3d9b7u8.stackpathcdn.com/pdf-down/2/S/D/2SD2394_SavantIC.pdf

While that 2SD2394 device is OK for the transistor, one of those devices needs to be a voltage regulator. The 5 volt regulator will have a part number like 7805.
See figure 14 in your web reference.

Baluncore said:
The picture you show has two NPN power transistors, marked D2394. They are part number 2SD2394, as a "2S" prefix is assumed on bipolar transistors numbered in the Asian series.
https://z3d9b7u8.stackpathcdn.com/pdf-down/2/S/D/2SD2394_SavantIC.pdf

While that 2SD2394 device is OK for the transistor, one of those devices needs to be a voltage regulator. The 5 volt regulator will have a part number like 7805.
See figure 14 in your web reference.
Thankyou.
I appreciate the help Does it matter which one?
And is it just a matter of time and learning these part numbers / looking them up? I understand a voltage regulator and transistor are different but not quite sure how to tell .

Dullard said:
You are literally trying to have a conversation in a language that you don't speak.
I'm pretty good with foreign languages, and you gotta start somewhere right?

No reason I can't tinker while I learn.

SCHROEDERFPM said:
Does it matter which one?
Yes, because the connections are different, and they are in different places in the circuit.

SCHROEDERFPM said:
And is it just a matter of time and learning these part numbers / looking them up?
Yes. I have been doing it for more than 50 years. I would have learned quicker, if I'd had someone to ask for help.

SCHROEDERFPM said:
I understand a voltage regulator and transistor are different but not quite sure how to tell .
The only visible difference is in the part numbers. The physical package is standard.

Likes SCHROEDERFPM
Thread closed for Moderation...

Likes SCHROEDERFPM

1. What does it mean to "↓ the voltage & ↑ the efficiency" in beginner circuits?

This phrase refers to reducing the voltage applied to a circuit while simultaneously increasing its efficiency. Lowering the voltage can decrease power consumption and reduce heat generation, which in turn can enhance the overall efficiency of the circuit. Efficiency in this context means getting the desired performance or output while minimizing energy loss and component stress.

2. How can I decrease the voltage in a circuit without affecting its performance?

To decrease the voltage without compromising performance, you can use voltage regulators or buck converters. These devices adjust the input voltage to a lower, stable output voltage, ensuring that the circuit operates effectively at a lower voltage level. It's crucial to select a device that matches the voltage and current requirements of your specific circuit to avoid underperformance.

3. What are some common methods to increase the efficiency of an electronic circuit?

Increasing the efficiency of an electronic circuit can be achieved by using efficient components such as LEDs and low-dropout regulators, optimizing the circuit layout to reduce resistance and parasitic losses, and employing pulse-width modulation (PWM) for better control of power delivery. Additionally, choosing the right type of power supply and minimizing unnecessary load can also contribute to higher efficiency.

4. Why is it important to consider voltage and efficiency in beginner electronics projects?

Considering voltage and efficiency in beginner projects is crucial for safety, cost-effectiveness, and longevity of the components. Working with appropriate voltage levels ensures that components are not damaged due to excessive power. Efficient circuits consume less power and generate less heat, which enhances the durability and performance of the electronic devices.

5. Can lowering the voltage impact the lifespan of electronic components?

Lowering the voltage can indeed impact the lifespan of electronic components, generally in a positive way. Operating components at lower voltages than their maximum rating can reduce stress, heat generation, and electrical wear, which in turn can extend the lifespan of these components. However, it’s important to ensure that the voltage is not too low to prevent the circuit from malfunctioning or failing to perform its intended function.