Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System

• Thread starter MrEnjay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the person is looking for a tether system that can connect from the sea surface to the seabed, which is called an anchor. The tether needs to auto adjust and be about 20 meters long. This can be achieved with an electric winch, but the person is concerned about freedom of movement. However, in practical anchoring systems, freedom of movement is provided by the weight of the anchor chain. It is advised to research existing anchoring systems before designing a new one.
MrEnjay
I am looking for a tether system so I can make a connection to the seabed from the sea surface. Does a system like these exist as I do not know what they are called or how would one make such a system.

The tether would need to auto adjust depending on the depth and movement to keep the tether relatively tight kind of like a winch but allowing freedom of movement on the other end.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is called an anchor. Due to the nature of the sea bed, anchors with tight cables tend to fail under the transient loads caused by surface waves so most anchor cables are very long (typically at least three times the depth) so there is no need to adjust the length for the relatively minor depth changes experienced in open sea.

Thanks for replying. It has to auto reel in similar to that of a vacuum cleaner cord or a tape measure. Length of cord must be about 20 metres plus. Is this possible? Or do I need electric motors for this?

What are you trying to install?

Electric winches are commonly used to retrieve anchors.

Yes but they do not allow freedom of movement and would seize when force is pulling cord away.

In practical anchoring systems freedom of movement is provided by the weight of the anchor chain. This may be augmented by using a "chum" or "angel".

Use a search engine to learn how anchoring systems work and why they work that way before you try to come up with a new design.

Ok I will do thanks.

What is an Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System?

An Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System is a mechanical device used for automatic winding and unwinding of various materials, such as cables, wires, ropes, and hoses. It is designed to provide controlled tension and prevent tangling or twisting of the material being wound or unwound.

How does an Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System work?

An Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System typically consists of a motor, a spool or drum, and a control system. The motor rotates the spool or drum, while the control system regulates the speed and tension of the material being wound or unwound. Some systems may also include sensors and brakes to ensure precise and safe operation.

What are the benefits of using an Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System?

The use of an Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System can increase efficiency and productivity in various industries, such as manufacturing, construction, and logistics. It can also reduce labor costs, minimize material waste, and improve safety by automating the handling of heavy or hazardous materials.

What types of materials can an Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System handle?

An Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System can handle a wide range of materials, including but not limited to wires, cables, ropes, hoses, and tubes. The specific type and size of material that can be handled will depend on the capacity and specifications of the system.

How do I choose the right Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System for my application?

When choosing an Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System, it is important to consider the type and size of material, the required tension and speed, and any specific safety or regulatory requirements. Consulting with a reputable supplier or manufacturer can help determine the best system for your specific needs.