Locking gear on container doors

In summary: This would give you the advantage of being able to clamp the rubber seals first, then close the door.In summary, Dan is trying to figure out a way to fasten the lock's fixing to the container and keep the doors sealed. He suggests making a cutout in the door frame or making the frame longer so that the keeper and claws can be positioned between the doors top and the frame.
Optymista93
Hi there,
I would like to use Your expertise in solving one of the challenges I've faced right now, as an intern.

My task is to design steel container doors and its locking system. As it's a light container, locking system should be placed inside of the doors. To visualize, the container and doors looks like this. Among other things, I need to consider "gasket rubbers" (not sure if it's a right English Word for it) around the doors, extream overload caused by the weather & weaves on the ocean etc.

Container_Doors3.PNG

I'll be using locking system similar to one on the images below.

Container_Doors4.PNG
1578559528719.png

My issue is that I can't figure out how to fasten the lock's fixing to the container and keep the doors sealed.

1578559676915.png

Lock's fixingJust to visualize a bit more.

Container_Doors5.PNG
Container_Doors6.PNG

Door frame is adjustable, because we are producing the doors. However, how to keep it sealed ("gasket rubbers") and make it not interfere with the frame?

I would really appreciate all the input.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

When closed, the rectangular doors fit in the end frame of the container and give it greater strength during transport.

There are usually four claws on each door, eight in all.
When the locking claws are rotated, the doors are pulled into clamp the rubber seals.

The force needed to close a container door seal is very high. It requires a long lever to apply that force. I don't think the lock/catch you picture will make it possible to close the container.

You show the hinges with fastners exposed when the doors are closed. You need to change that so the hinge plates are hidden. The fixed hinge pins can be outside.

Have you operated container doors? Is there a container you can practice on, to estimate the forces involved ?

Likes Optymista93
Thank You for Your reply Baluncore.

Baluncore said:
Have you operated container doors? Is there a container you can practice on, to estimate the forces involved ?

Yes, we have complete containers in the workshop, so I can estimate approximate forces involved.
However, all the containers have locking gear on the outside of the doors and not, as in this case, on the inside.

Baluncore said:
You show the hinges with fastners exposed when the doors are closed. You need to change that so the hinge plates are hidden. The fixed hinge pins can be outside.

Don't worry about the hinges, it's just a 'sketch' and probably not the ones i'll eventually using.
My issue is that I can't figure out how to fix locking systems keeper (thing that keep claws in a place, when the door is shut) to the frame, so it doesn't interfere with the doors frame. There are two things I've thought about. First is to make a cutout in the actuall door frame. Second is to make a frame longer (vertically), so that the keeper and claws can be positioned between the doors top and the frame. However, this second solution would make rubber seals useless on both top and the bottom. In addition, I have little space to maneuver with. (36mm from the frames top to the container structure and only 20mm on the bottom.)
1578570717090.png

Optymista93 said:
However, all the containers have locking gear on the outside of the doors and not, as in this case, on the inside.
You need to look at a container door from the outside while imagining you are inside.
The usual long lever arms give maybe a factor of 10 advantage when rotating the cams/claws. How can you get a similar advantage with the shorter lock.
If the control bars are inside the container they may be jammed by a spilled load. They must be protected in the door panel.

Have you considered a bi-fold door that has hinges on one side and in the middle. The middle of the door closes last, after the sides are held in channels.

1. What is locking gear on container doors?

Locking gear on container doors refers to the mechanisms and devices used to secure shipping containers during transportation and storage. This typically includes locks, latches, and seals that prevent unauthorized access and ensure the contents of the container remain intact.

2. Why is locking gear important for container doors?

Locking gear is essential for container doors as it ensures the safety and security of the contents inside. It also prevents theft, damage, and tampering during transportation and storage, which can have significant financial and logistical consequences for businesses.

3. What are the different types of locking gear used for container doors?

There are several types of locking gear used for container doors, including padlocks, twist locks, bar locks, and seals. Some containers also have integrated locking systems, such as lock rods and cam locks, which provide additional security.

4. How do you properly lock a container door?

The specific method of locking a container door will depend on the type of locking gear being used. Generally, you should ensure that all locking devices are properly engaged and tightened to secure the container. It is also recommended to use multiple locks and seals for added security.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for locking gear on container doors?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by organizations such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Convention for Safe Containers (CSC). These standards outline the requirements for locking gear, including strength, durability, and compatibility with different container types.