A probability question based on batting averages,

• Thread starter shadedude123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the batting averages of Batter A and Batter B and calculates the probability of neither one getting a hit in an inning. It is found that the probability of Batter A not getting a hit is 17/25 and the probability of Batter B not getting a hit is 18/25, resulting in a 48.96% chance of both of them missing. This calculation is based on the assumption that A getting a hit is independent of B getting a hit.
shadedude123
Batter A has a batting average (probability of getting a hit) of .320. Batter B has a
batting average of .280. If both of them come to bat during an inning, calculate the
probability that neither one gets a hit. Assume that A getting a hit is independent of B
getting a hit.

My attempt:

I said that .320 is basically 320/1000 and that's 8/25 and .280 is 7/25. I said that the probability of them not getting a hit is 17/25 for Batter A and 18/25 for batter B. And I multiplied both of em to get 48.96% chance of both of em missing. Is this right? I'm not really a math type person but this question is for one of my science classes. Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
shadedude123 said:
Batter A has a batting average (probability of getting a hit) of .320. Batter B has a
batting average of .280. If both of them come to bat during an inning, calculate the
probability that neither one gets a hit. Assume that A getting a hit is independent of B
getting a hit.

My attempt:

I said that .320 is basically 320/1000 and that's 8/25 and .280 is 7/25. I said that the probability of them not getting a hit is 17/25 for Batter A and 18/25 for batter B. And I multiplied both of em to get 48.96% chance of both of em missing. Is this right? I'm not really a math type person but this question is for one of my science classes. Thanks for any help :)

100% correct.

Thanks a lot :)

1. What is a batting average?

A batting average is a statistical measure used in baseball and softball to evaluate a batter's performance. It is calculated by dividing the total number of hits by the total number of at-bats.

2. How is batting average related to probability?

Batting average is related to probability because it represents the likelihood of a batter getting a hit in a given at-bat. The higher the batting average, the higher the probability of a batter getting a hit.

3. Can batting average be used to predict future performance?

While batting average can give an indication of a batter's overall performance, it should not be solely relied upon for predicting future performance. Other factors such as a batter's recent form, opponent's pitching, and game situations should also be taken into consideration.

4. How is a player's overall batting average calculated?

A player's overall batting average is calculated by adding up all of their hits and at-bats over a given period of time (e.g. a season) and dividing the total number of hits by the total number of at-bats.

5. Is a higher batting average always better?

Not necessarily. While a high batting average may indicate a strong hitter, it does not take into account other important factors such as a player's ability to hit for power, draw walks, and contribute to their team in other ways. A well-rounded player may have a lower batting average but still be a valuable asset to their team.