Investigating Equal Energies in a Plasma of 3 Populations

In summary, the conversation discusses a plasma with three distinct populations and the expectation that the energy of the hot proton population would be equal to the energy of the electron population. However, it is noted that the electrons are usually slightly more energetic due to various factors such as coulomb forces, energy loss through brehmsstrahlung, and external heating. It is also mentioned that having distinct cold and hot populations of protons is unlikely.
Heimdall
Hi,

Let's consider a plasma of 3 distinct populations : 1 cold proton population of 0.2 density, 1 hot proton population of 0.8 density, and one electron population.

I have [tex]T_i=T_e[/tex] and I set the velocity of my cold population to 0. I expected that te energy of my hot proton population to be equal to the energy of my electron population, but in fact the electrons are always a bit mor energetic than my protons.

Am I right, should I expect the energies to be equal ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Having distinct cold and hot populations of protons would be rather impossible - there is usually continuous distribution. The electrons would rapidly equilibrate to the proton temperatures since the electrons are much lighter and the coulomb forces are considerable. The electrons temperatures are approximately those of the protons for those reasons, and perhaps slightly cooler since electrons lose energy more readily due to brehmsstrahlung, and if magnetically confined, cyclotron radiation.

Only with external heating (e.g. RF) would electrons be hotter - but only while the external heating is applied.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your findings regarding the energy levels in a plasma of 3 populations. It is an interesting observation that the electrons are consistently more energetic than the protons, despite having the same temperature.

In this case, it is important to consider the individual properties of each population. While the temperature may be the same, the masses and charges of the particles are different, which can affect their energy levels. Electrons, being much lighter and having a negative charge, may have a higher energy level compared to protons of the same temperature.

Additionally, the velocity of the cold proton population being set to 0 may also play a role in the overall energy distribution. It is possible that the electrons are gaining more energy due to interactions with the hot protons, which are in motion.

Overall, it is not necessarily expected for the energies to be equal in this scenario, as there are many factors at play. However, further investigation and analysis can help to better understand the energy distribution in this plasma system. Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention and sparking a discussion on equal energies in a plasma of 3 populations.

1. What is the purpose of investigating equal energies in a plasma of 3 populations?

The purpose of this investigation is to understand the behavior and interactions of particles in a plasma consisting of 3 different populations with equal energies. This can provide insight into the overall dynamics of the plasma and can be useful in various applications such as fusion energy research and space plasma studies.

2. How do you determine the energy distribution of each population in the plasma?

The energy distribution of each population in the plasma can be determined by measuring the velocities and temperatures of the particles. This information can then be used to calculate the kinetic energy of each population and determine the overall energy distribution.

3. What factors can affect the equal distribution of energies in a plasma of 3 populations?

Some factors that can affect the equal distribution of energies in a plasma of 3 populations include collisions between particles, external electric or magnetic fields, and the presence of impurities in the plasma. These factors can alter the energy distribution and lead to deviations from equal energies.

4. How can the results of this investigation be applied in practical settings?

The results of this investigation can be applied in various practical settings such as optimizing plasma conditions in fusion reactors, predicting the behavior of plasma in space environments, and designing more efficient plasma-based technologies. It can also contribute to the overall understanding of plasma physics and aid in the development of new theories and models.

5. Are there any limitations to investigating equal energies in a plasma of 3 populations?

One limitation of this investigation is that it assumes equal energies among the 3 populations, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the complexity of plasma systems and the various factors that can affect energy distribution make it challenging to accurately model and predict the behavior of the plasma. Further research and advancements in technology may help overcome these limitations.