Displacement of a point on a string given t and x

In summary, the equation describing a transverse wave on a string is y(x,t) = (3.50mm)sin[(t/162s) - (x/42.5)] but is wrong and should be y(x,t) = (3.55mm)sin[(162s^-1)t-(42.5m^-1)x]
beccaka2003

Homework Statement

The equation describing a transverse wave on a string is
y(x,t) = (3.50mm)sin[(t/162s) - (x/42.5)]

Find the transverse displacement of a point on the string when t = 0.220 s and at a position x = 0.140m

Homework Equations

y(x,t) = Asin(wt-kx) or y(x,t) = Asin2pi[(t/T)-(x/wavelength)]
k = 2pi/wavelength
w = 2pif

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from previous parts of the problem that I got right:

wavelength = 0.148m
f = 1/T = 25.8 Hz
A = 3.5mm

I thought that you would just plug the values of t and x into the second equation I gave, but it was wrong. I keep on coming up with y = 1.73, no matter what I do, but the answer is y = -3,46. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi beccaka2003,

beccaka2003 said:

Homework Statement

The equation describing a transverse wave on a string is

This is the equation that you want to plug your t and x value into. But isn't this equation wrong? I have found a form that matches the frequency and wavelength you said you got on the previous parts of the problem, and it does not match the above formula.

So please check and fix this equation. Do you get the right answer?

No, that is the equation that we are given. In the homework, it was written slightly different, but I'm positive they are the same:

y(x,t) = (3.55mm)sin[(162s^-1)t-(42.5m^-1)x]

They are the same, right? I got the correct answers for the first 3 parts of the question using it.

I really want to understand this, and it is driving me nuts.

Last edited:
beccaka2003 said:
No, that is the equation that we are given. I double checked. That is why I'm so confused. It should be simply substituting the values in, right? I really want to understand this, and it is driving me nuts.

From your wavelength and frequency values:

wavelength = 0.148m
f = 1/T = 25.8 Hz

I'm getting that the w and k values are:

w=162 rad/s
k=42.5 m-1

If you then look at your general equation:

y(x,t) = Asin(wt-kx)

you can see that t is multiplied by w, not divided; and x is multiplied by k, not divided. So I think your original equation should not be:

it should be:

y(x,t) = (3.50mm)sin[(162) t - (42.5) x]

Are you sure your book did not have it in this form? I'm confused as to how you could have gotten the correct wavelength and frequency if it was not in this form.

(Also, change your calculator from degrees to radians!)

Do you get the right answer?

beccaka2003 said:
No, that is the equation that we are given. In the homework, it was written slightly different, but I'm positive they are the same:

y(x,t) = (3.55mm)sin[(162s^-1)t-(42.5m^-1)x]

They are the same, right? I got the correct answers for the first 3 parts of the question using it.

I really want to understand this, and it is driving me nuts.

(I was responding to your post while you were still modifying it, so you might not have seen my last post.)

No, they are not the same. The s-1 and the m-1 are units; the numbers 162 and 42.5 stay in the numerator.

(And be sure to read in my last post about changing your calculator from degrees to radians.)

Ahh! Its all because my calculator was in degrees, not radians. The reason the other equation worked for me was because I had taken the long way around and made the equation y(x,t) = (3.50mm)sin2pi[(t/25.8s) - (x/.148)]. That should have told me right there that y(x,t) = (3.55mm)sin[(162s^-1)t-(42.5m^-1)x] is not equivalent to
y(x,t) = (3.50mm)sin[(t/162s) - (x/42.5)]. Silly mistake that made a really simple problem impossible. Thanks so much!

Sure, glad to help!

1. What is the formula for calculating displacement of a point on a string given t and x?

The formula for displacement of a point on a string can be represented as y(t,x) = A sin(kx - ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

2. How is displacement of a point on a string related to time and position?

The displacement of a point on a string is a function of both time and position. It represents the vertical distance or change in position of a point on the string at a given time and position.

3. What factors affect the displacement of a point on a string?

The displacement of a point on a string is affected by the amplitude, wave number, angular frequency, and phase constant. It is also influenced by the properties of the string, such as tension and density.

4. Can displacement of a point on a string be negative?

Yes, the displacement of a point on a string can be negative. This indicates that the point is below its equilibrium position, or the point at which there is no displacement from its resting position.

5. How is displacement of a point on a string different from distance traveled?

Displacement of a point on a string is a vector quantity that represents the change in position from a starting point to an ending point, while distance traveled is a scalar quantity that represents the total length of the path taken. Displacement can be positive or negative, while distance traveled is always positive.