Household noise from AC line, lights etc.

In summary, the main frequency components of noise from AC line, florescent lights, appliances, and other common household items are 60Hz and 120Hz from rectifying. The individual doesn't have to worry about other frequencies such as 180, 240, 300, 360 (60X1, X2, X3, X4, X5...) etc. The stronger ones are the 60 plus odd harmonics, while even harmonics suggest asymmetry like half-wave rectification. Nowadays, electronics have input filters to draw sinewave current and ease the harmonic load on distribution in the end user's facility. In 3 phase, the third harmonic returns via neutral and is now required inside buildings to be
yungman
What is the main frequency components of noise from AC line, florescent lights, appliances and other common household stuff? I know there are 60Hz and 120Hz from rectifying. Do I have to worry about 180, 240, 300, 360 ( 60X1, X2, X3, X4, X5...) etc.?

Which one are the strong ones?

Engineering news on Phys.org
used to be 60 plus odd harmonics
even harmonics infer asymmetry like half-wave rectification

nowadays electronics have input filters to make them draw sinewave current for purpose of easing harmonic load on distribution in the end user's facility. In 3 phase third harmonic all returns via neutral so that's why it is now reqiiured inside buildings to be same size conductor as lines.

i think if you make an antenna you will now find major noise at switching frequency of power supplies - tens to a few hundred khz and not sync'd with line
and of course backplane noise from embedded computers. My digital FM tuner wipes out the analog one nearby.

that's my casual observations

tune a transistor radio between stations and walk around the house.
in my power plant the computer room was 100X noisier to a radio than the main generator, which was a significant 60hz machine-- 24kv @ 22kiloamps..

When I turn on the TV it causes a flickering on the computer monitor for a second. I think that is the de-gausing circuit on the TV

What causes household noise from AC line, lights etc.?

The most common cause of household noise from AC line, lights etc. is electromagnetic interference (EMI). This can be caused by various electronic devices in the vicinity, faulty wiring, or power surges.

How does household noise from AC line, lights etc. affect our daily lives?

Household noise from AC line, lights etc. can be a nuisance and can disrupt daily activities. It can also cause interference with electronic devices such as TVs, radios, and computers.

How can household noise from AC line, lights etc. be reduced?

To reduce household noise from AC line, lights etc., you can try relocating electronic devices away from power sources, using power filters or surge protectors, and checking for any faulty wiring. It may also be helpful to consult with an electrician.

Is household noise from AC line, lights etc. dangerous?

In most cases, household noise from AC line, lights etc. is not dangerous. However, if the noise is accompanied by flickering lights or burning smells, it may indicate a more serious issue that should be addressed by a professional.

Can household noise from AC line, lights etc. be prevented?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent household noise from AC line, lights etc., steps can be taken to reduce it. This includes properly grounding electronic devices, using high-quality wiring and outlets, and avoiding overloading circuits.