Limit of trigonometric function

In summary, if you do not know about Taylor series, you can use the squeeze theorem to infer that cos(x) <= 1.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

lim x --> 0 for function y = (-2x)/(sinx)

Using L'Hopital's Theorem, I found the derivative of the top and of the bottom and found the limit and got -2. How to find the limit as x approaches 0 without using L'Hopital's theorem. I know my solutions manual uses a different method, but I don't know what it is because they have skipped all those steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

lim x --> 0 for function y = (-2x)/(sinx)

Using L'Hopital's Theorem, I found the derivative of the top and of the bottom and found the limit and got -2. How to find the limit as x approaches 0 without using L'Hopital's theorem. I know my solutions manual uses a different method, but I don't know what it is because they have skipped all those steps.
If they skipped all the steps, how do you know that they did it differently from you? Is it possible that they expanded the denominator in a Taylor series about x = 0?

Chet

No matter how you solve this problem, you will effectively need to establish that
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(x)}{x} = 1$$
There are many ways to do this, L'Hospital's rule being the simplest but not the most elementary.

If you know about Taylor series, then you can expand ##\sin(x)##, divide each term by ##x##, and take the limit. All terms except the first will go to zero.

There's also nice proof which uses a geometric (not 100% rigorous, but very intuitively convincing) argument to establish the following inequality, which is valid for all nonzero ##x \in [-\pi/2, \pi/2]##:
$$\cos(x) \leq \frac{\sin(x)}{x} \leq 1$$
The result then follows from the squeeze theorem. See the first answer at this StackExchange link to see the picture from which the inequality is inferred:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/75130/how-to-prove-that-lim-limits-x-to0-frac-sin-xx-1

The simplest way (the first week of Calc 1) to solve this problem is to note that (-2x)/sin(x) =-2/(sin(x)/x) then solve the problem using standard limit rules.

Thank you all for posting. I ended up using shortbus_bully's method because he was right it was the simplest way to solve the problem!

1. What is the limit of a trigonometric function?

The limit of a trigonometric function is the value that the function approaches as the input variable approaches a certain value, typically denoted by the symbol "x". It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of functions near a specific point.

2. How do you find the limit of a trigonometric function?

To find the limit of a trigonometric function, you can use the limit laws and trigonometric identities to simplify the function and then evaluate the limit. You may also use L'Hospital's rule or graphing techniques to determine the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input variable approaches the given value from one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function as the input variable approaches the given value from both the left and the right simultaneously.

4. Can a trigonometric function have a limit at a point where it is not defined?

Yes, a trigonometric function can have a limit at a point where it is not defined. This is because the limit only considers the behavior of the function near the given point and does not necessarily depend on the actual value of the function at that point.

5. Why is the concept of limit important in trigonometry?

The concept of limit is important in trigonometry because it allows us to study the behavior of trigonometric functions as the input variable gets closer and closer to a specific value. This helps us understand the behavior of these functions and make predictions about their values at certain points.