Checking some work on a Fourier Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Fourier transforms and finding the Fourier transform for functions such as e^{-ax^2} and e^{ax^2-bx}. The conversation also includes a discussion on the proper way to integrate e^{ikx} and how the integral diverges. The concept of Dirac delta distribution is also mentioned.
Emspak

Homework Statement

OK, we're given to practice Fourier transforms. We are given

[tex]f(x) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} g(k) e^{ikx}dk[/tex]

and told to get a Fourier transform of the following, and find g(k):

[itex]f(x) = e^{-ax^2}[/itex] and [itex]f(x) = e^{-ax^2-bx}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I tried the following:

The integral of [itex]e^{-ax^2}[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/itex]. I saved that information for later.

To get the Fourier transform I used:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}e^{ikx}e^{-ax^2}dx[/tex]

"completing the square" inside the integral I get [itex]e^{-a(x+\frac{ik}{2a})^2-\frac{k^2}{4a}}[/itex] and that leaves me with

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{\frac{-k^2}{4a}}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-a(x+\frac{ik}{2a})^2}dx[/tex]

I can change the variable so that [itex]y^2=(x+\frac{ik}{2a})^2[/itex]
and dx=dy in this case.

After all that I can change the limits (but they are still infinity, right?) So that I get this:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{\frac{-k^2}{4a}}\int^{+\infty+\frac{ik}{2a}}_{-\infty+\frac{ik}{2a}}e^{ay^2}dy[/tex]

Which we know from before is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/itex].

And that leaves us with

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2a}}e^{\frac{-k^2}{4a}}=g(k)[/itex]

Assuming all this is correct -- and I am not 100 percent sure it is -- then if I were to apply the same procedure to [itex]e^{ax^2-bx}[/itex] I should end up with the above multiplied by the integral of [itex]e^{-bx}[/itex]. But if I try to integrate that I get infinities.

But I wasn't sure if that was a completely wrong approach, or if I even did the above bit correctly. The thing I have trouble getting my head around is whether e is periodic or not and what period to use when applying Fourier equations. I might be approaching this entirely wrongly.

Thanks in advance for whatever assistance/ criticism/ telling me I am foolish.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you define your Fourier transform from [itex]k[/itex] to [itex]x[/itex] space as
[tex]f(x)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} k g(k) \exp(\mathrm{i} k x),[/tex]
then the inverse is
[tex]g(k)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x f(x) \exp(-\mathrm{i} k x).[/tex]
Concerning the factors [itex]2 \pi[/itex] this is the opposite of what physicists (at least in the high-energy particle/nuclear physics community) use.

In principle the way you do the integral is correct.

Likes 1 person
thanks, that helps. One other question: say I want to integrate

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{ikx}dx[/tex]

would I be better off using the Euler formula, which would get me [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\cos x + i \sin x dx[/itex]? But then the cosine integral diverges...

I could convert it to polar coordinates, but then I end up with

[itex]x = r\cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]dx = -r\sin \theta + \cos \theta d\theta[/itex]

which leads me to

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{ikx}dx = \int^{\infty}_{0}e^{ikr\cos \theta}(-r \sin \theta d\theta) + \cos \theta dr= \int^{\infty}_{0}-re^{ikr\cos \theta}(\sin \theta) d\theta + \int^{\infty}_{0}e^{ikr\cos \theta}(\cos \theta) dr[/tex]

where the first term would go to zero but I suspect I am approaching this the wrong way...

Emspak said:
thanks, that helps. One other question: say I want to integrate

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{ikx}dx[/tex]

That integral diverges. There is a sense in which [tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ikx}\,dx = 2\pi\delta(k)
[/tex] where [itex]\delta[/itex] is the Dirac delta distribution, since then the inverse formula gives [tex]
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty 2\pi \delta(k)e^{-ikx}\,dk = \frac{1}{2\pi} 2\pi e^0 = 1
[/tex]

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function or signal into its constituent frequencies. It allows us to represent a function in terms of its frequency components and can be useful in analyzing and understanding complex signals and systems.

2. How is a Fourier Transform calculated?

The Fourier Transform is calculated by taking the input function and representing it as a summation of sine and cosine functions with different amplitudes and frequencies. This involves using complex numbers and integration to determine the coefficients of each frequency component.

3. What is the difference between a Fourier Transform and a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Transform is used for continuous signals or functions, while a Fourier Series is used for periodic signals. A Fourier Transform will give a continuous spectrum of frequencies, while a Fourier Series will give a discrete set of frequencies.

4. How can I use a Fourier Transform in my work?

A Fourier Transform can be used in a variety of fields, including signal processing, data analysis, image processing, and more. It can help identify patterns and trends in data and can be used to filter and enhance signals or images.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier Transform?

While the Fourier Transform is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the input signal is periodic and infinitely long, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. It is also sensitive to noise and can be computationally intensive for certain types of signals.