What is the basis of Ker(F)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear operator F on the vector space V = M2(R), defined as F(M) = AM + MA^T, where A^T is the transpose of a given matrix A. The question is to determine a basis for the kernel of F, which is found by solving the equation AM + MA^T = 0. The person asking for help solves the equation by writing it out as separate equations for the components of M and using Gaussian elimination to find the dimension of the kernel to be 0, indicating that the kernel only contains the 0 matrix.
simpledude

Homework Statement

Let V = M2(R) be the vector space over R of 2×2 real matrices. We consider the mapping
F : V −> V defined for all matrix M belonging to V , by F(M) = AM +MA^T where A^T denotes the transpose matrix of the matrix A given below

A =

1 2
−1 0

Question is: Determine a basis of Ker(F)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I showed that F is a linear operator, and preserves scalar addition and multiplication.
However I am lost as to how I can solve the equation:
AM +MA^T = 0

Any help appreciated, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
AM + MA^T = 0, so AM = -MA^T. You know what A is and M is a 2x2 matrix, so pick some entres a, b, c, d for M and solve for them.

What is zero in [itex]M_2(\mathbb{R})[/itex]? Just apply the definition of kernel using [itex]M = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
m_{11} & m_{12}\\m_{21} & m_{22}\\\end{array} \right)[/itex] and you will find the basis.

Last edited:
I get dimension of Ker = 4,

What I did is write out the matrix and multiply it out (since we know A and M I took
as a,b,c,d). After multiplying and adding, I get a system of 4 equations, (a,b,c)
and solve them via Gauss to find how many are independent.

Is this ok?

simpledude said:

Homework Statement

Let V = M2(R) be the vector space over R of 2×2 real matrices. We consider the mapping
F : V −> V defined for all matrix M belonging to V , by F(M) = AM +MA^T where A^T denotes the transpose matrix of the matrix A given below

A =

1 2
−1 0

Question is: Determine a basis of Ker(F)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I showed that F is a linear operator, and preserves scalar addition and multiplication.
However I am lost as to how I can solve the equation:
AM +MA^T = 0

Any help appreciated, thanks :)
You solve the matrix equation by doing the work to write it out as separate equations for the components.
Let
[tex]M= \left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)[/tex]
Then
[tex]F(M)= AM+ MA^T= \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2 \\ -1 & 0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & -1 \\ 2 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\begin{array}{cc}a+2c & b+2d \\ -a & -b+d\end{array}\right)+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}a+ 2b & -a \\ c+2d & -c\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\begin{array}{cc}2a+2b+2c & -a+b+2d \\ -a+ c+ 2d & -b- c+ d\end{array}\right)[/tex]
For M be "in the kernel", that must be the 0 vector. Solve 2a+ 2b+ 2c= 0, -a+ b+ 2d= 0, -a+ c+ 2d= 0, and -b- c+ d= 0. If those equations are all independent, of course, the only solution will be a= b= c= d= 0, the 0 matrix. If not, then the kernel may have dimension 1, 2, 3, or 4. (Well, it's pretty obvious the dimension is not 4.)

EDIT: Oh wait found a mistake in my math

Yes did exactly that, by the way last equation should be -b-c

So after this I solve the matrix of coefficients to see how many independent columns
I have:

2 2 2 0
-1 1 0 2
-1 0 1 2
0 -1 -1 0

and simplified matrix is:

1 1 1 0
0 1 2 2
0 0 1 2
0 0 0 4
I get 4 independent columns once I solve via Gauss. So Ker F = {0}.. so is this
dim 0?

Last edited:

What is the basis of a kernel?

The basis of a kernel, also known as the null space, is a set of vectors that when multiplied by a given matrix, result in a zero vector. In other words, the basis of a kernel is the collection of vectors that do not change when multiplied by the matrix.

Why is the basis of a kernel important?

The basis of a kernel is important because it allows us to understand the linear transformation of a matrix. It also helps us to find solutions to systems of linear equations and determine linear independence of vectors.

How do you find the basis of a kernel?

To find the basis of a kernel, we first need to find the null space of the matrix. This can be done by solving the homogeneous system of linear equations represented by the matrix. Once we have the null space, we can find a set of linearly independent vectors that span the null space, which make up the basis of the kernel.

What is the relationship between the basis of a kernel and the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent columns or rows in the matrix. The basis of a kernel, on the other hand, is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors that span the null space of the matrix. Therefore, the basis of a kernel and the rank of a matrix are complementary and their sum is equal to the number of columns or rows in the matrix.

Can the basis of a kernel be empty?

Yes, the basis of a kernel can be empty if the null space of the matrix is also empty. This means that there are no vectors that when multiplied by the matrix result in a zero vector. In this case, the matrix is said to have a trivial kernel.