Finding Expected Value of a Double-Exponential Distribution

• Thread starter corny1355
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the random variable X has a double-exponential distribution with parameter p>0 and its density is given by f_x(x) = (1/2)e^(-p|x|) for all x. The expected value of X is equal to 0, which can be shown by evaluating the integral ∫ x * (1/2)e^(-p|x|) dx from 0 to infinity. This can also be understood by looking at the graph of f_x(x) and realizing that the area under the curve is symmetric around the y-axis, resulting in an expected value of 0.
corny1355

Homework Statement

The random variable X has a double-exponential distribution with parameter p>0 if its density is given by

f_x (x) = (1/2)e^(-p|x|) for all x.

Show that the expected value of X = 0.

Homework Equations

I know that the expected value of a random variable x is

∫ x * f(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

We are told that f_x (x) = (1/2)e^(-p|x|)

So I'm guessing you have to do the following integral going from 0 to infinity:

∫ x * (1/2)e^(-p|x|) dx

But I'm unsure about how to compute this integral.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your sample space is [itex][0,\infty)[/itex], how could the average value of X be 0?
Also, there wouldn't be a need for absolute values if x couldn't be negative.
I`m sure that the problem implicitly assumes that X can take all values in R.

You could evaluate the integral by splitting it in two pieces.
There's a faster way though. Maybe drawing the graph of f will help.

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is often used to solve problems related to motion, such as finding the distance traveled by an object over a certain period of time.

Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables in a given system.

What are the different methods of integration?

The most commonly used methods of integration are the substitution method, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Other methods include partial fractions, numerical integration, and integration using technology such as calculators or computer software.

How do I solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you need to follow a set of steps, which include identifying the function to be integrated, choosing the appropriate method of integration, and applying the rules and techniques of that method. It is also important to check your answer and make sure it is correct.

Can integration be used in real-world applications?

Yes, integration is widely used in real-world applications, such as in calculating the area under a curve in physics, determining the total cost or revenue in economics, and finding the average velocity of an object in motion. It is also used in computer science, statistics, and many other fields.