The Science of Sound: How Does It Travel from Source to Our Ears?

• Thread starter donkeycopter
  • Start date
In summary, the wave theory is used to understand how sound moves from a musical string or pipe to our ears. The sound is not carried in the waves, sound is what our brains interpet compressive waves as. The waves are the sound, and the sound is what our brains interpret cyclical compression and rarefaction of air density as.
donkeycopter
We're doing sound waves in class at the moment, and basically I'm just trying to get a greater conceptual understanding of it by asking the simple question: how does sound get from a musical string, or a pipe into our ears?

We've done compressions and rarefactions etc, but I don't really understand how the sound actually moves in those waves to get to our ears?

I would love a sort of summary of how the wave theory is actually applied in this obvious scenario.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
donkeycopter said:
We've done compressions and rarefactions etc, but I don't really understand how the sound actually moves in those waves to get to our ears?
I may be misinterpreting where exactly you confusion lies, but I'll give it a shot.

The waves are the sound. The sound is not carried in the waves, sound is what our brains interpet compressive waves as.

If you used a tiny pair of tweezers to grab your eardrum and wiggle it in and out 60 times per second, your brain would interpret this as a 60Hz hum. Note that you could move your tweezers in complete silence; it is the back and forth motion itself (by tweezer or by air pressure) that we perceive as sound.

Q: If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
A: No. Vibrations of the air are simply that - vibrations. It takes an ear and a brain to make that into a sound.

Thanks, that's actually very helpful, but it wasn't what i meant exactly :)

Essentially if I was asked this question in an exam, how would you answer:

A guitar string is plucked, and a man 2m away hears the sound. Explain the process from the sound being created, to it being heard by the man in terms of sound waves.Obviously a stupid question that I just made up, but that's basically what I don't understand - how it all fits together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically I just don't know how I would answer that sort of question -what would your response be if it had to be 3-4 sentences, for example.

donkeycopter said:
Basically I just don't know how I would answer that sort of question -what would your response be if it had to be 3-4 sentences, for example.

Nice try. We cannot do your homework for you.

Write your ideas, we can help you.

as I initially said, this is not a homework question. I can do all of the questions in class/homework questions, I just like to have a bit more conceptual understanding, hence I'm asking for an explanation of the concept here. I just asked for 3-4 sentences in the hope that you would give a more detailed reply, which you seem reluctant to do. Paradoxically however, your reluctance to respond would seem to negate any point to you replying, but who am I to question what you do :)

I just can't understand the concept! :)

donkeycopter said:
as I initially said, this is not a homework question. I can do all of the questions in class/homework questions, I just like to have a bit more conceptual understanding, hence I'm asking for an explanation of the concept here.

I just asked for 3-4 sentences in the hope that you would give a more detailed reply, which you seem reluctant to do.
I am not reluctant; I am bound by PF rules.

And so are you.

Write what you know, or what you think. We can correct.

(It would have taken less of your time and less of your writing to do that in the first place rather than repeatedly asking for someone else to write it for you. :wink:)

I'm sorry, I don't understand your reasoning? I'm not asking for an answer, I'm asking for an explanation of a concept.

I have written all that I know 'through compressions and rarefactions' and I was hoping that somebody could explain how this is put into practice for me. How can I write an explanation for you to check, if I don't know the explanation myself, hence I am asking? :)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=66018", which you agreed to when you signed up.
You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help.

Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

Now stop stalling. Just write what you know or think.

Last edited by a moderator:
donkeycopter said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand your reasoning? I'm not asking for an answer, I'm asking for an explanation of a concept.

I have written all that I know 'through compressions and rarefactions' and I was hoping that somebody could explain how this is put into practice for me. How can I write an explanation for you to check, if I don't know the explanation myself, hence I am asking? :)

Maybe we can back up.

1) Sound waves travel through the air and enter the ear
2) The pressure from these waves cause the eardrum (tympanic membrane) to vibrate

So , my guess is that you might want to know:

a) What happens before 1
b) What happens after 2
c) More clarification about the processes in either 1 or 2
?

Why not wiki "sound" for a detailed explanation? Then ask away on this forum if you need clarification. BTW, any relation to Joseph Heller?

1. How does sound travel to our ears?

Sound travels through the air in the form of sound waves. When an object vibrates, it creates sound waves that travel through the air until they reach our ears. These sound waves then cause our eardrums to vibrate, which in turn sends signals to the brain for interpretation.

2. What is the role of the eardrum in hearing?

The eardrum, also known as the tympanic membrane, is a thin, flexible membrane that separates the outer ear from the middle ear. When sound waves reach the eardrum, it vibrates and transfers the vibrations to the middle ear, which contains tiny bones that amplify and transmit the sound further to the inner ear.

3. How does the inner ear help us hear?

The inner ear contains the cochlea, which is responsible for translating sound vibrations into electrical signals that can be interpreted by the brain. The vibrations from the middle ear cause fluid inside the cochlea to move, stimulating tiny hair cells which then send signals to the brain through the auditory nerve.

4. Can loud noises damage our hearing?

Yes, loud noises can damage our hearing. Exposure to loud noises can cause temporary or permanent damage to the hair cells in the inner ear, leading to hearing loss or tinnitus (ringing in the ears). It is important to protect our ears by avoiding prolonged exposure to loud noises and wearing earplugs in noisy environments.

5. How do we hear different pitches and volumes?

The different pitches and volumes of sound are determined by the frequency and amplitude of the sound waves. Higher frequency waves create higher pitched sounds, while lower frequency waves create lower pitched sounds. Similarly, a larger amplitude (or height) of the sound wave results in a louder sound, while a smaller amplitude results in a softer sound.