Non-Inverting Operational Amplifier.

In summary, the conversation is discussing a non-inverting Op-Amp design and how to take into account the value of Rs in the circuit. The expert summarizer explains that since the inputs are high impedance, Rs has no effect on the gain. They also provide a method for solving the problem from first principles and mention the golden rules of op-amps. Finally, they state that both the given expression and the one provided by the other person in the conversation are valid and will result in the same solution.
MushManG
Good evening.

Right. My question is one of a simple nature, I think.

Anyways, consider the following non-inverting Op-Amp design:

http://www.freewebs.com/mushg/FWThumbnails/OpAmp.bmp

Now, the basic formula for any non-inverting opamp is of course [itex]\frac{V_{O}}{V_{S}} = 1 + \frac{R_{2}}{R_{1}}[/itex]

Meaning that [itex]V_{O} = V_{S} + \frac{V_{S}R_{2}}{R_{1}}[/itex]

I'm trying to find [itex]V_{O}[/itex]

My question, how do I take into account the[itex]R_{S}[/itex] In this situation? Does it have any bearing at all, if so, what?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since the inputs are very high impedance, there's no current into them. Hence the R_s has no effect on the gain.

Hi,

Rs= 1.2k has nbo bearing at all. You cannot simply memorize the formulae for inverting and noninverting amps and solve every opamp question. You need to do it fron first principles. Heres how.

1. V+= V- (thats a given)
2. I= = I-= 0A (very little or no current in the order of pico amps enters intoi the terminals of the opamp ...it can be neglected)
3. You have an expression for V- being V-= Vout(5k)/(15K) by voltage divider and you have V+= 2A (no V drop across Rs as I+= 0A)

<< final solution deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Points (1) and (2) that unplebeian mentions are often coined, the golden rules of op-amps and may be applied to these kinds of questions.
Using, the rule: input to an op-amp draws (essentially) no current, you can easily deduce what happens to Rs.
You can use the expression that unplebeian describes in point (3). However your own expression for Vo is equally valid and will agree in solution.

1. What is a non-inverting operational amplifier?

A non-inverting operational amplifier (op-amp) is an electronic device that amplifies an input voltage signal without changing its polarity. It is commonly used in analog circuits for amplification, filtering, and other signal processing applications.

2. What are the main components of a non-inverting op-amp circuit?

The main components of a non-inverting op-amp circuit include the op-amp itself, a feedback resistor, and an input resistor. The op-amp is typically connected in a non-inverting configuration, with the input signal applied to the non-inverting input terminal and the feedback resistor connected between the output and the inverting input terminal.

3. How does a non-inverting op-amp circuit work?

A non-inverting op-amp circuit works by amplifying the input voltage signal and feeding it back to the inverting input terminal, which creates a negative feedback loop. This results in a stable output voltage that is a multiple of the input voltage, determined by the ratio of the two resistors in the circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using a non-inverting op-amp?

Some advantages of using a non-inverting op-amp include high input impedance, low output impedance, and a wide bandwidth. It also offers a high gain, which can be easily adjusted by changing the feedback resistor value, making it a versatile and flexible circuit component.

5. What are the common applications of a non-inverting op-amp?

A non-inverting op-amp is commonly used in audio amplifiers, signal filters, and sensor circuits. It is also used in precision measurement and control systems due to its high precision and stability. Additionally, it can be used in combination with other op-amp circuits to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and averaging.