Thevenin Theorem seems to not work in this 1 bit RAM RC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the maximum voltage that a memory element can receive in a circuit using the Thevenin Theorem. The person has obtained a result of 4 Volts by inspection, but is unable to reach the same result using the Thevenin Theorem. They provide their understanding of the problem and their attempt at using the Thevenin Theorem, but are still unable to reach the expected result of 4 Volts. The conversation also includes previous calculations and equations for the circuit. After summarizing the conversation, it is noted that the circuit may not be applicable for a DC steady state solution due to its semi-dynamic nature. It is suggested that in the relevant time scale, the voltage at
Martel
Homework Statement
Statement provided as an image
Relevant Equations
Equations provided at the end of the post (latex and SageMath/Python)
I have a problem which consist in 1 bit RAM made of 3 MOSFETs. One of the questions is to calculate the maximum voltage that the memory element can receive. I have obtained the result by inspection (it is 4 Volts) but I'm unable to reach the same by applying the Thevenin Theorem.

My understanding is: I have a circuit made of several resistors and one capacitor (which is the memory element). If the circuit is reduced to a $ (V_{TH}, R_{TH}) $ Thevening Equivalent, and given that the capacitor behaves like an open circuit for long periods of time (it's fully charged), I can assume that the maximum voltage the capacitor might have is $ V_{TH} $. The problem is that the $ V_{TH} $ I find has nothing to do with the expected result (4 Volts).

**I want to know what I'm doing wrong and how to solve this problem by applying the Thevenin theorem.**

The exercise, along with all my schemas and equations, are below:

Screenshot from 2020-01-14 12-49-16.png

In a previous question I have calculated the parasitic resistance and it is $ R_{PA} = 185.347405560882 $ TeraOhms.

The question I actually need to answer is:
Now, suppose the drain of Q1 is high, and the store line is held at the same voltage as the drain of Q1 . What is the maximum voltage, in Volts, that the gate of Q2 can be charged to? Note, this value must be larger than VOH = 3.5 Volts to satisfy the static discipline.

Now, my 'Tehevening Equivalent' attempt to find the voltage in Q2 is below:

2.jpg

1.jpg

$$
parallel(R_{1}, R_{2}) = \frac{1.00000000000000}{\frac{1.00000000000000}{R_{1}} + \frac{1.00000000000000}{R_{2}}}
\\
R_{\mathit{TH}} = {\rm parallel}\left(R_{\mathit{PA}}, R_{\mathit{ON}} + {\rm parallel}\left(R_{\mathit{OFF}}, R_{\mathit{PU}}\right)\right)
\\
I_{\mathit{TH}} = \frac{V_{S}}{R_{\mathit{PU}} + {\rm parallel}\left(R_{\mathit{OFF}}, R_{\mathit{ON}} + R_{\mathit{PA}}\right)}
\\
e = -I_{\mathit{TH}} R_{\mathit{PU}} + V_{S}
\\
\mathit{ITH}_{2} = \frac{e}{R_{\mathit{ON}} + R_{\mathit{PA}}}
\\
V_{\mathit{TH}} = -\mathit{ITH}_{2} R_{\mathit{ON}} + e
$$

Or in `SageMath`/`Python`:

Equations in SageMath/Python:
V_S = 5.
R_ON = 2100
R_OFF = 110e6
R_PU = 10e3
R_PA = 185.347405560882e12 # Parasitic resistance

parallel(R1, R2) = 1./(1./R1 + 1./R2)

R_TH = parallel(R_PA, R_ON + parallel(R_OFF, R_PU))

I_TH = V_S / (R_PU + parallel(R_OFF, R_ON + R_PA))
e = V_S - I_TH * R_PU
I_TH2 = e / (R_ON + R_PA)
V_TH = e - I_TH2*R_ON

The final result (`V_TH`) I get is `4.99954549553765` Volts, and it should be 4 Volts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Martel said:
Homework Statement:: Statement provided as an image
Homework Equations:: Equations provided at the end of the post (latex and SageMath/Python)

I have a problem which consist in 1 bit RAM made of 3 MOSFETs. One of the questions is to calculate the maximum voltage that the memory element can receive. I have obtained the result by inspection (it is 4 Volts) but I'm unable to reach the same by applying the Thevenin Theorem.

My understanding is: I have a circuit made of several resistors and one capacitor (which is the memory element). If the circuit is reduced to a $ (V_{TH}, R_{TH}) $ Thevening Equivalent, and given that the capacitor behaves like an open circuit for long periods of time (it's fully charged), I can assume that the maximum voltage the capacitor might have is $ V_{TH} $. The problem is that the $ V_{TH} $ I find has nothing to do with the expected result (4 Volts).

**I want to know what I'm doing wrong and how to solve this problem by applying the Thevenin theorem.**

The exercise, along with all my schemas and equations, are below:

View attachment 255608

In a previous question I have calculated the parasitic resistance and it is $ R_{PA} = 185.347405560882 $ TeraOhms.

The question I actually need to answer is:Now, my 'Tehevening Equivalent' attempt to find the voltage in Q2 is below:

View attachment 255609

View attachment 255610

$$
parallel(R_{1}, R_{2}) = \frac{1.00000000000000}{\frac{1.00000000000000}{R_{1}} + \frac{1.00000000000000}{R_{2}}}
\\
R_{\mathit{TH}} = {\rm parallel}\left(R_{\mathit{PA}}, R_{\mathit{ON}} + {\rm parallel}\left(R_{\mathit{OFF}}, R_{\mathit{PU}}\right)\right)
\\
I_{\mathit{TH}} = \frac{V_{S}}{R_{\mathit{PU}} + {\rm parallel}\left(R_{\mathit{OFF}}, R_{\mathit{ON}} + R_{\mathit{PA}}\right)}
\\
e = -I_{\mathit{TH}} R_{\mathit{PU}} + V_{S}
\\
\mathit{ITH}_{2} = \frac{e}{R_{\mathit{ON}} + R_{\mathit{PA}}}
\\
V_{\mathit{TH}} = -\mathit{ITH}_{2} R_{\mathit{ON}} + e
$$

Or in `SageMath`/`Python`:

Equations in SageMath/Python:
V_S = 5.
R_ON = 2100
R_OFF = 110e6
R_PU = 10e3
R_PA = 185.347405560882e12 # Parasitic resistance

parallel(R1, R2) = 1./(1./R1 + 1./R2)

R_TH = parallel(R_PA, R_ON + parallel(R_OFF, R_PU))

I_TH = V_S / (R_PU + parallel(R_OFF, R_ON + R_PA))
e = V_S - I_TH * R_PU
I_TH2 = e / (R_ON + R_PA)
V_TH = e - I_TH2*R_ON

The final result (`V_TH`) I get is `4.99954549553765` Volts, and it should be 4 Volts.
Unnecessary complications. DC steady state solution is not applicable here because the circuit is semi-dynamic latch.
In time scale of interest, Vg(Q2)=Vs-Vt=5-1=4V. If for some reason the voltage Vg(Q2) will rise above 4V, the Q3 can no longer be opened by "Store" signal.

DC steady state solution is not applicable here because the circuit is semi-dynamic latch.

When you say DC steady state solution you mean that assuming that the capacitor will reach a steady state after a 'long' time is not correct in this circuit?

When you say 'semi-dynamic latch', do you refer to Dynamic logic?
In time scale of interest, Vg(Q2)=Vs-Vt=5-1=4V. If for some reason the voltage Vg(Q2) will rise above 4V, the Q3 can no longer be opened by "Store" signal.

Please could you clarify this? This statement, along with the 'semi-dynamic latch' one, makes me reach the following conclusion:

Having Q1 opened and Q3 closed, Q2 starts to charge. Since the voltage between 'Store' and 'Q2' is greater than V_T (1 Volt), Q2 keeps charging. At some point, Q2 (due to Q1 being charging it) reaches a voltage so that the voltage between 'Store' and 'Q2' is less than 1 Volt, so Q3 opens. Q2 starts to discharge through the parasitic resistor. At some point, Q2 reaches a voltage so that the voltage between 'Store' and 'Q2' is >= 1 Volts again, so Q3 closes and Q1 charges Q2, and everything starts again.

Is the above correct?

Likes trurle

What is Thevenin Theorem?

Thevenin Theorem is a fundamental concept in electrical engineering that states any linear electrical network can be simplified into a single voltage source and a single resistance, known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

Why does Thevenin Theorem not seem to work in this 1 bit RAM RC circuit?

Thevenin Theorem is based on the assumption that the circuit is linear, which means that the output response is directly proportional to the input. However, the 1 bit RAM RC circuit is non-linear due to the presence of a diode, which can cause deviations from the expected behavior.

Is Thevenin Theorem still applicable in non-linear circuits?

Thevenin Theorem can only be applied in linear circuits. In non-linear circuits, other techniques such as the Superposition Theorem or the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem may be used to simplify the circuit.

How can I analyze a non-linear circuit like the 1 bit RAM RC circuit?

To analyze non-linear circuits, you can use numerical methods such as circuit simulation software or solve the circuit using mathematical techniques such as the Newton-Raphson method.

Are there any real-world applications of Thevenin Theorem?

Thevenin Theorem is widely used in circuit design and analysis to simplify complex circuits and calculate parameters such as voltage, current, and power. It is also used in the design of voltage dividers, power supplies, and electronic filters.