Motion of 2 charged particles in a constant electric field

In summary, two large parallel copper plates with a uniform electric field between them release an electron and proton from the negative and positive plates, respectively. Neglecting the force between the particles, their distance from the positive plate when they pass each other can be found using the equations d = 0.5a1t^2 and d = 0.05 - 0.5a2t^2, where a1 and a2 are the accelerations of the electron and proton, respectively. The electric field is not necessary to find the distance, as it only depends on the relative masses of the particles. Integrating the F = ma = qE equations and comparing the ratios will determine the distance at which they pass each other
an_mui
Two large parallel copper plates are 5.0cm apart and have a uniform eletric field between them as shown below. An electron is released from the negative plate at the same time that a proton is released from the positive plate. Neglect th force of the particles on each other and find their distance from the positive plate when they pass each other.

proton ->
electron <--

F = ma
Force is constant, so acceleration is proportional to 1 / m

d = distance from positive plate
1. d = 0.5a1t^2
2. d = 0.05 - 0.5 a2t^2

can someone check my progress so far? I am really stuck on this question. I am still not very good at the concept of electric field and electric potential

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good - now what?

You're on the right track. The only thing different is the masses of the two particles and their +/- charge. It's just a distance versus acceleration problem.

hm how can i solve the problem without actual numbers given in the equation?

what is the force on a charged particle q in an electric field E. Once you figure out how to write that relation you can find the accelerations taht you need.
when they pass the distance from the positive plate is equal. SO you simply equate what you have already and solve for t.
Once you have t can u use one of the kinematic equations to solve for the distnace traveled by either hte proton or the electron.

so the force on a charged particle q in an electric field E

Fnet = eE

equation 1: 0.5(-eE/mp)t^2
equation 2: 0.05 - 0.5(eE/m)t^2

i am sorry but i still dont' know how to find the electric field.

an_mui said:
i am sorry but i still dont' know how to find the electric field.
You don't need to know the explicit electric field to find the answer to the question. The question just asks for the distance where the two particles pass each other. The distance is independent of the field, and only depends on the relative masses of the particles. Remember that the charge on the electron and proton is identical, just opposite in sign.

sometimes you got to keep going and try and see waht you get without knowing things at first. Perhaps they may cancel out (they probably do, here) and may not evne be required as a result. Another type of problem where somethiing apparently 'fundamental' to the problem isn ot needed is the mass of a freefalling object.

i tried and i really can't see what step i can take next.

Just write the two F = ma = qE equations for the two different masses, and integrate to get the distance versus time equations. Then look at the ratio to see how much farther the lighter electron gets in some time compared to the proton. The ration will likely be their relative masses or something like that. If the lighter object gets twice as far in the same time as the heavier object, then if they are moving toward each other, they will pass at the 1/3 point in their initial separation, for example.

1. How does a constant electric field affect the motion of two charged particles?

A constant electric field exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the field. This acceleration will cause the particles to either move towards each other or away from each other, depending on their charges.

2. What factors affect the motion of two charged particles in a constant electric field?

The motion of two charged particles in a constant electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the magnitude and direction of the charges on the particles, and the distance between the particles.

3. Can the motion of two charged particles in a constant electric field be predicted?

Yes, the motion of two charged particles in a constant electric field can be predicted using equations such as Coulomb's law and the equations of motion. These equations take into account the factors mentioned in question 2.

4. What is the difference between the motion of two positively charged particles and two negatively charged particles in a constant electric field?

In a constant electric field, two positively charged particles will accelerate towards each other, while two negatively charged particles will accelerate away from each other. This is because like charges repel and opposite charges attract.

5. How can the motion of two charged particles in a constant electric field be manipulated?

The motion of two charged particles in a constant electric field can be manipulated by changing the strength of the electric field, the charges on the particles, or the distance between the particles. Additionally, introducing other external forces, such as a magnetic field, can also affect the motion of the particles.