Determining a function given points and the values of derivatives at points

In summary, the student is trying to find the coefficients for a quintic function given the data of (-5,15), (-5/2, 100), and (10, -5). They need to find five equations with five unknowns, and then use Maple to solve for the coefficients.
Liquidessa

Homework Statement

Using Maple, I'm asked to create a quintic function, in the form of ax^5+bx^4+cx^3+dx^2+ex+f given the following data:

It will pass through the points (-5,15), (-5/2, 100), and (10, -5)
-f'(5)=(-1)
-f''(5)=1

Homework Equations

How would I go about doing this? I'm allowed to use Maple. If anyone could demonstrate, that'd be great.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start. I can't solve for anyone coefficient in particular, because then I just end up with the value of it in relation to the other coefficients. ANy help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: I think I could even do it if I had one more point, I just don't know how to find a fourth one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It will pass through the points (-5,15), (-5/2, 100), and (10, -5).

What does that mean? What equation must hold in order that this is true?

I have the basic quintic function f(x)=ax^5+bx^4+cx^3+dx^2+ex+f
I need to find the values of the coefficients a,b,c,d,e and f, creating a function that satisfies these conditions:

It will pass through the points (-5,15), (-5/2, 100), and (10, -5). (If I graphed the function I'm trying to find, it would pass through those points)

-f'(5)=(-1)
-f''(5)=1

Liquidessa said:
It will pass through the points (-5,15), (-5/2, 100), and (10, -5). (If I graphed the function I'm trying to find, it would pass through those points)

What does this mean for f? What equation must hold?

If I give you the function f(x)=x2+x+1. How do you check that the function goes through (1,1)??

Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you mean. Here is a link to the assignment, I'm doing question 1, and I used a value of 5 for 'k', so I figured out my points from that. I hope that's clearer.

http://people.stfx.ca/pkeizer/assignments/a4.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Your assignment is clear to me. I'm just asking questions to guide you to a solution.

If I give you f(x)=x2+x+1, then how do check that this curve goes through (1,3)? How do you know that?

Wouldn't I just substitute the x-coordinate into my original function, and solve? If it equals the y-coordinate, it would pass through that point. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it with a function this complex. Apparently there is some way I am supposed to use maple to do it, but I don't know.

Well, maple will come in later. We will first construct a system of 5 equations with 5 unknowns. You will have to use maple to solve this.

So (-5,15) has to lie on f. Thus the following must hold:

[tex]a(-5)^5+b(-5)^4+c(-5)^3+d(-5)^2+e(-5)+f=15[/tex]

This is our first equation. Can you use the other two points to obtain other equations??

Aha! Ok, I understand this much at least. Yes, I have my three equations now. AM I supposed to set them up a system, and ask maple to solve for the variables?

Oh! Also, there was a fourth point give that I missed, (5/2, 50).

Well, you could try. But maple won't give you many useful answers. The reason is that three equations just isn't enough. If you've got 5 variables, then you need to have (at least) 5 equations. We only have 3 equations, so we need two other ones.

These equations will come from f'(5)=-1 and f''(5)=1.
So all you need to do now is to calculate the first and second derivative and substitute the values. This will give you two other equations...

They gave a fourth point, I've got a fourth equation now, but how can I get my fifth from the first and second derivatives?

First, find the first derivative. Then use the information that f'(5)=-1, this will give you a fifth equation...

Haha, thanks, I'm almost done. Once I have my fifth equation, how do I use Maple to solve for the coefficients? I'm fairly new to Maple, but maybe I should know this.

I'm sorry, I really don't know anything about maple :frown:

Check the Help file of maple. It should have a lot of tools to solve equations...

I now have the equations:

-5 = a(10)^5+b(10)^4+c(10)^3+d(10)^2+e(10)+h;
15 = a(-5)^5+b(-5)^4+c(-5)^3+d(-5)^2+e(-5)+h
100 = a(-5/2)^5+b(-5/2)^4+c(-5/2)^3+d(-5/2)^2+e(-5/2)+h
50= a(5/2)^5+b(5/2)^4+c(5/2)^3+d(5/2)^2+e(5/2)+h
-1 = 5*a(5)^4+4*b(5)^3+3*c(5)^2+eCan anyone tell me how I would determine the coefficients with Maple?

1. What is the purpose of determining a function given points and the values of derivatives at points?

The purpose of determining a function given points and the values of derivatives at points is to find the equation or formula that represents the relationship between the dependent and independent variables. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior and patterns of the data, as well as making predictions and solving problems based on the given information.

2. How do you determine a function given points and the values of derivatives at points?

To determine a function given points and the values of derivatives at points, you can use the method of interpolation or curve fitting. This involves finding the equation of a curve that passes through the given points and satisfies the derivatives at those points. This can be done manually or by using mathematical software.

3. What information do you need to determine a function given points and the values of derivatives at points?

You will need the coordinates of the given points (x and y values) as well as the values of derivatives at those points. The derivatives can be in the form of either slope or rate of change, and can be given as numerical values or as equations.

4. What are some real-world applications of determining a function given points and the values of derivatives at points?

Determining a function given points and the values of derivatives at points has various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and finance. For example, it can be used to model the motion of a falling object, the growth of a population, or the behavior of stock prices.

5. Can a function be uniquely determined given points and the values of derivatives at points?

Yes, a function can be uniquely determined given points and the values of derivatives at points. This is because the combination of points and their corresponding derivatives provide enough information to determine the equation of a unique curve that passes through those points and satisfies the given derivatives.