Troubleshooting Flyback Converter Simulation in Multisim

• Thread starter greg997
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converter
In summary, the problem is that the MOSFET does not switch in the Multisim model. Changing the resistor should fix the problem.
greg997
Hello, I am having the following problem. Basically, I am supposed to create a simulation in multisim for a flyback converter. A basic model, no feedback needed.
I have 120 dc power supply, transformer with ratio of 26. Output voltage 5 V and power delivered 35W. All that controlled by mosfet, and the switching frequency at 45kHz.So I created a model, And I get 5 Vol output , but the current is 10 less to what I want, and instead 35 W I see 3.5 W.The expected I average shoudl be 6.9A. I have played with different mosfets, some give me miliV a some give kvolts. I use the PWM controller, where in the Edit Model, I removed everything apart from T= 22.2u and Duty cyclemax =Dutycycel min=0.5. If anyone could have a look at my schematic and tell what is wrong with that I would be grateful.And according to my previous calculations the max I in primary is 1.4 A whereas in the probe it shows 4 different values of current, I don know at which I should look, but all of them are too high.

Attachments

• 120v.jpg
    120v.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,181
Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion just the resistor is wrong. If you want 35W at the right side, you need 35W/5V=7A and a 5V/7A=0.714Ohm resistor. After changing the resistor it should work.

I have the same Problem with the high current on the left side. When I measured the voltage at the mosfet Ii figured out that the MOSFET in Multisim does not switch. I tested a Resistor and a Mosfet in a row, and when the resistor is smaller than 10k there is a huge voltage drop at the MOSFET, so less voltage drop at the transformer.

Which transformer did you use to simulate the storage of energy? This is my main Problem

hi, thanks for the info, but it still does not work. I used normal transformer TS_XFMR1.
That resisor in series with capacitor is uded to reduce some spikes when switching , I suppose, but not sure. It is not really needed to have proper simulation.

What is a flyback converter?

A flyback converter is a type of power converter that uses a transformer to convert a DC input voltage to a different DC output voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices to step down or step up the voltage for different components.

What is the main problem with flyback converters?

The main problem with flyback converters is the presence of high voltage spikes during the switching process. These spikes can cause damage to the components and affect the overall efficiency of the converter.

How can high voltage spikes be mitigated in a flyback converter?

High voltage spikes can be mitigated by using snubber circuits or by adding capacitors to the circuit. These components help to absorb and dissipate the spikes, protecting the components and improving the converter's performance.

Can the flyback converter be used for both step up and step down conversion?

Yes, the flyback converter can be used for both step up and step down conversion by changing the number of windings on the transformer. For step up conversion, the primary winding has fewer turns than the secondary winding, and for step down conversion, it is the opposite.

What are some common applications of flyback converters?

Flyback converters are commonly used in electronic devices such as TVs, computer monitors, and mobile phone chargers. They are also used in power supplies for LED lighting, automotive applications, and renewable energy systems.