Shear stress in a pinned shaft

In summary, the shear stress concentration factor for a shaft with a hole drilled through it from the side is given by: σmax = (1 - P)σHoles
fusername
So I am trying to figure out this shear stress problem that I have no idea how to approach. I have a shaft which is transmisitting a torque. It can be locked to its housing by using a pin which passes through it radially. I need to know that the shaft won't snap when transmitting its torque when unpinned however, and do not know how to solve this problem. I found the stress concentration factor for such a model, but I don't know what equation to use for max or average shear stress, this is beyond my understanding of stress, and beyond all the texts i have my hands on.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to post quite a bit more detail.

Is the shaft solid or hollow?

Does the pin transmit the load?

Is the pin tapered, a cotter or what?

If the pin does not transmit the load, is there a keyway, spline, flat or what?

A simple sketch would help enormously.

sorry, been staring at it soo long everything sounds obvious, I am sure you know the feeling.

it is a solid shaft with a hole drilled through it from the side. I am not worried about failure of the pin, but failure of the shaft it passess through when the pin is removed. it is a plain cylinder shaft undergoing pure torsion.
Code:

i can do a picture in a bit if that drawing is not enough. It is a very simple stress concentration problem, but it is one i have never seen before and can't find reference on.

Well I would have hoped a mech engineer? could have provided better information but still, here is the formula you require from my stress conc tables.

You realize that the max shear stress occurs at the outer surface and that your shaft is only at risk if the hole is between the load and the drive?

go well

Attachments

• sconc1.jpg
    sconc1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,112

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question about shear stress in a pinned shaft. I can offer some guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of shear stress. Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two forces act parallel to each other in opposite directions, causing one part of an object to slide against another. In the case of a pinned shaft, shear stress is generated when the torque is transmitted through the shaft, causing it to twist.

In order to determine if the shaft will snap when transmitting torque, we need to calculate the maximum shear stress that the shaft will experience. This can be done by using the formula:

Shear stress = (Torque x distance from center of shaft) / (Polar moment of inertia)

The polar moment of inertia can be calculated using the shaft's diameter and length. Once you have the maximum shear stress value, you can compare it to the material's shear strength to determine if the shaft will fail or not.

As for the stress concentration factor, it is used to account for any irregularities or changes in the shape of the shaft, such as the presence of a pin. This factor is multiplied by the calculated maximum shear stress to get a more accurate value.

I would recommend consulting with a mechanical engineer or referring to a textbook on mechanical engineering to understand the equations and concepts better. I hope this helps in solving your problem. Good luck!

1. What is shear stress in a pinned shaft?

Shear stress in a pinned shaft is the force per unit area that is applied parallel to the cross-section of a shaft that is pinned or fixed at both ends. It is a measure of the resistance of the shaft to deformation or failure due to shear forces.

2. How is shear stress calculated in a pinned shaft?

Shear stress in a pinned shaft can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the shaft. The formula for shear stress is τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. How does shear stress in a pinned shaft affect the material?

Shear stress in a pinned shaft can cause the material to deform or fail if it exceeds the material's shear strength. It can also cause fatigue or cracks in the shaft over time. Therefore, it is important to consider the shear stress when designing a shaft to ensure it is within the allowable limits for the material.

4. What factors can affect shear stress in a pinned shaft?

Some factors that can affect shear stress in a pinned shaft include the applied force, the material properties of the shaft, the geometry of the shaft, and the boundary conditions (such as how the shaft is supported or fixed). Other factors, such as temperature and corrosion, can also affect shear stress in certain materials.

5. How can shear stress in a pinned shaft be reduced?

Shear stress in a pinned shaft can be reduced by using a larger diameter shaft, increasing the material's shear strength, or changing the geometry of the shaft to distribute the forces more evenly. Additionally, proper lubrication and maintenance can help reduce shear stress by reducing friction between the shaft and its surroundings.