What is the Moment of Inertia of a Square System with Aligned Masses?

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia for a system of four 3 kg masses aligned in a square with sides of 8 meters. Part a requires finding the moment of inertia at the center along an axis perpendicular to the paper. Part b involves finding the moment of inertia along a line passing through the center in the plane of the paper. Part c asks for the moment of inertia at one of the masses (bottom right corner) along an axis perpendicular to the page. The formula used is I = summation mr^2, and the correct solutions are 384 kg m^2 for part a, 192 kg m^2 for part b, and 767 kg m^2 for part c.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

Four 3 kg masses are aligned in a square, 8 meters on a side.
a- find the moment of inertia at the center, along an axis running perpendicular to the paper.
b- Find the moment of inertia along a line that passes through the center in the plane of the paper.
c- Find the moment of inertia of the system at mass 'c' ( mass in the bottom right corner) along an axis running perpendicular to the page.

Homework Equations

I = summation mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a- 4 ( 3 kg)(8m)^2 /2 = 384 kg m^2

b- 3 kg ( 4 ( 8.00 m ^2/2) = 48 kg m^2

c- 3kg ( 4 ( 8*8* 11.3 m ) ^2 = 6276218 kg m^2? I am obviously not setting this up correctly...

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to SUM each individual moment of inertia, not just multiply the radii together. So it will be

3*02 + 3*82 + 3*82 + 3*11.32

Incidentally, it doesn't look you did (b) right either

So the third question should come to 767 kg m^2.

On the second, what will the radii be? I don't understand a moment of inertia along a line rather than a point.

It's the same concept... in parts (a) and (c) you weren't measuring to 'a point', you were measuring to an axis. It just so happens that the shortest distance from a point to an axis perpendicular through plane the points are on happens to be where the axis intersects the plane (which is where the point comes from). Draw the square, draw the axis it describes, and find what the shortest distance from any vertex to the axis is

OK... Sorry I'm not getting this. We didn't go over it and he just threw it at us in our homework set.

So for part b the shortest distance will always be 4 meters, so I sum up the 4 moments as

3kg * (4 m)^2 * 4 = 192 kg m^2?

That looks right to me.

Cool. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a system calculated?

The moment of inertia of a system can be calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia of each object in the system. This involves knowing the mass and distance from the axis of rotation for each object.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a system?

The moment of inertia of a system is affected by the mass and distribution of mass of the objects within the system. Objects with larger masses or those located further from the axis of rotation will have a greater impact on the overall moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of a system?

The moment of inertia directly affects the rotational motion of a system. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to rotate, and will have a slower rotational speed compared to objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. What are some real-world applications of the concept of moment of inertia?

The concept of moment of inertia is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is crucial in designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion, as well as understanding the behavior of objects in space. It is also used in sports equipment design, such as in the construction of golf clubs and tennis rackets.