Free Fall/Motion: Homework Help

• Thread starter Grove
  • Start date
In summary, the student drops a water balloon on a bunny rabbit, but instead of throwing it, they simply let go. The balloon travels vertically and horizontally at 9.0m/s and hits the ground at 4.7s. The final velocity is 47.3m/s.
Grove
Basically I'm just after confirmation that I am on the right track and that I haven't stuffed up somewhere along the lines. Thanks :)

PS. Sorry about the formatting.

Homework Statement

A mischievous student is taking a hot air balloon ride. The balloon is traveling horizontally at 9.0m/s and is 110 m above the ground. The student notices a little bunny rabbit, off into the distance, in the balloon’s direction of travel. Being mischievous, the student prepares to drop a water balloon on the poor defenseless rabbit. Rather than throw the water balloon, the student simply let's go of it over the edge.

(a) Draw a diagram of the water balloon’s trajectory. On your diagram, label the initial and final height, initial horizontal distance as well as the x and y components of the initial and final velocities. Don’t forget to specify your coordinate system, i.e. which directions are positive.
(b) Calculate the time taken for the water balloon to hit the ground.
(c) Calculate at what horizontal distance from the bunny rabbit, must the student drop the water balloon to make sure it hits the target. Label this distance on your diagram.
(d) Calculate the speed at which the water balloon hits the poor bunny.

Homework Equations

V = Vo + at

X = Xo + Vot + 1/2at^2

V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Ignore this question since I am confident of this as it is just a diagram.

b)
Y = Yo + Voy t + 1/2at^2 (where Y = 0, Yo = 110m)
therefore;
-Yo = 1/2at^2
-110m = 1/2 x -9.8 x t^2
-110m = -4.9 x t^2
t = SQR ROOT (-110 / -4.9)
t = 4.7s

c)
d = Vox x t (since ax = 0)
d = 9.0m/s x 4.7s
d = 42.3m

d)
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(Y - Yo)
V = SQR ROOT (Vo^2 + 2a(Y - Yo))
V = SQR ROOT (9.0^2 + 2a(0 - 110))
V = 47.3m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't do the actual calculations, but the method looks fine.

Yeah the calculations themselves are all correct (double-checked) but was hoping the method and the way I did it was all correct, especially making sure I used the right vector components etc.

Actually now that I look. The final velocity value I have, is that only for the vertical component of the final velocity? If so, would I just need to add the vectors of vertical (47.3) + horizontal (9.0) to get the actual final velocity? (Answer 48.1 m/s)

Please confirm?

Thanks

Last edited:
Grove said:
Yeah the calculations themselves are all correct (double-checked) but was hoping the method and the way I did it was all correct, especially making sure I used the right vector components etc.

Actually now that I look. The final velocity value I have, is that only for the vertical component of the final velocity? If so, would I just need to add the vectors of vertical (47.3) + horizontal (9.0) to get the actual final velocity? (Answer 48.1 m/s)

Please confirm?

Thanks

Grove said:
d)
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(Y - Yo)
V = SQR ROOT (Vo^2 + 2a(Y - Yo))

I'm not very sure but if this is the equation you've used to find the vertical component of the velocity then V0 should be 0,not 9m/s which is only the horizontal component of the velocity.
Once you find this,then I guess you can find the speed at which the balloon strikes the ground by calculating the resultant velocity.

Oh I can't believe I didn't pick that up. Thanks for that.

So calculations change to 46.4m/s for vertical and horizontal stays at 9.0m/s which gives me the resultant of 47.3m/s (oddly enough).

Grove said:
Oh I can't believe I didn't pick that up. Thanks for that.

So calculations change to 46.4m/s for vertical and horizontal stays at 9.0m/s which gives me the resultant of 47.3m/s (oddly enough).

It appears that, when all is said and done, you will end up with the same number in part (d). That's because

vx2 = 9.02 and
vy2 = 02+2*9.8*110

kuruman said:
It appears that, when all is said and done, you will end up with the same number in part (d). That's because

vx2 = 9.02 and
vy2 = 02+2*9.8*110

That's true. Thanks guys! :)

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the sole influence of gravity. This means that the object is not being pushed or pulled by any other forces, and is only accelerating due to the force of gravity.

2. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect free fall?

The acceleration due to gravity, symbolized as 'g', is a constant value that determines the rate at which an object will accelerate towards the ground during free fall. On Earth, this value is approximately 9.8 m/s^2.

3. What is the difference between free fall and terminal velocity?

Free fall is the initial period of motion when an object is dropped and is accelerating due to the force of gravity. Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach during free fall when the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a net force of zero and a constant velocity.

4. How is the distance an object falls related to the time it takes?

The distance an object falls is directly proportional to the square of the time it takes to fall. This means that if an object takes twice as long to fall, it will fall four times the distance.

5. Can an object experience free fall on any planet?

Yes, any object can experience free fall on any planet as long as it is only being influenced by the force of gravity. However, the acceleration due to gravity may vary on different planets, resulting in different rates of free fall.