Need help finding final speed of a projectile

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the speed and time of flight for a golf ball struck at 66 ft/s and hitting point B. The equations used include (Vo)x = Vcos(θ), (Vo)y = Vsin(θ), D = Do + (Vo)x * t, Y = Yo + (Vo)y * t - (1/2) * g * t^2, Vy^2 = (Vo)y^2 - 2 * g * (Y-Yo), Vx^2 = (Vo)x^2 - 2 * g * (Y - Yo), V^2 = [(V)x^2 + (V)y^2], and V = [(Vo)x + (Vo
Daniel Dubois

Homework Statement

3WL9GiU.png

Golf ball struck with a velocity of 66 ft/s.
Part a): determine the speed at which the ball hits point B.
Part b): determine the time of flight from A to B.

Homework Equations

For Part b):
(Vo)x = Vcos(θ)
(Vo)y = Vsin(θ)
D = Do + (Vo)x * t
Y = Yo + (Vo)y * t - (1/2) * g * t^2
For Part a):
Vy^2 = (Vo)y^2 - 2 * g * (Y-Yo)
Vx^2 = (Vo)x^2 - 2 * g * (Y - Yo)
V^2 = [(V)x^2 + (V)y^2]
V = [(Vo)x + (Vo)y] / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

If there are more effective and less complicated ways of solving the asked questions please let me know.
I solved for time first (part b).
-- given an initial velocity Vo in the problem statement of 66 ft/s
-- from diagram angle between horizontal and initial direction of the ball 10° + 45° = 55°
(Vo)x = Vcos(θ) -------> (Vo)x = 66cos(55) -----> (Vo)x = 37.89 ft/s
(Vo)y = Vsin(θ) -------> (Vo)y = 66sin(55) -----> (Vo)y = 54.06 ft/s
-- solving for distance d
S = So + (Vo)x * t -------> d * cos(10) = 0 + 37.89 * t ----> d = 38.44 * t

-- solving for final height of ball (at point B).
Y = Yo + (Vo)y * t - (1/2) * g * t^2 -----> d * sin(10) = 0 + 54.06 * t - 16.1 * t^2 -----> 6.68 * t = 54.06 * t - 16.1 * t^2
-- solving for time t
t = 2.94s This answer was taken as correct in online program.
-- Plugging in t value in d
d = 38.44 ft
-- Plugging in d value in Y = d * sin(10)
Y = 19.62
For my attempt at part a) final speed of the projectile at point B I tried two different formulas, but with no success.
Vy^2 = (Vo)y^2 - 2 * g * (Y-Yo) -----> Vy^2 = 54.06^2 - 2 * 32.2 * (19.62 - 0) -----> Vy = 40.73 ft/s

Vx^2 = (Vo)x^2 - 2 * g * (S-So) -----> Vx^2 = 37.86^2 - 0 -----> Vx = 37.86 ft/s

V^2 = [(V)x^2 + (V)y^2]

V = [(Vo)x + (Vo)y] / 2

The fourth equation doesn't make much sense to me, and with the correct values inserted answer resulted incorrect. The third gives me a really high number which also resulted incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Dubois said:

The Attempt at a Solution

If there are more effective and less complicated ways of solving the asked questions please let me know.

For b). Think about the horizontal motion and remember Mr Pythagoras!

You could write the equation for vertical displacement from the incline's frame of reference(i.e. angle of projection=θ=45°). For that, you'll need components of gravitational acceleration along and normal to the incline. Equation for vertical displacement will be a quadratic equation in t. From incline's frame of reference, vertical displacement will be 0 when the ball reaches point B. Just solve it to get the time of flight.

1. How do I calculate the final speed of a projectile?

To calculate the final speed of a projectile, you will need to know the initial speed, the angle at which the projectile is launched, and the acceleration due to gravity. You can use the formula: final speed = initial speed + (acceleration due to gravity * time).

2. What is the units for final speed of a projectile?

The units for final speed of a projectile are typically meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). This represents the distance the projectile travels in one second.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating final speed of a projectile in different scenarios?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate the final speed of a projectile in different scenarios, as long as the initial speed, angle, and acceleration due to gravity are known. However, the units may vary depending on the system of measurement being used.

4. How does air resistance affect the final speed of a projectile?

Air resistance can slow down the final speed of a projectile, as it creates a force that opposes the motion of the projectile. This means that the final speed will be lower than the calculated value, as the projectile will experience a decrease in acceleration due to the force of air resistance.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate the final speed of a projectile?

It is important to accurately calculate the final speed of a projectile because it can affect the accuracy and precision of the projectile's trajectory. This information is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics, where precise calculations are necessary for successful outcomes.