Vectors: x/y components, magnitude, and angle direction

In summary, the conversation discussed how to find the x and y components of three pulls, A, B, and C, attached to a boulder. They also discussed how to find the components and magnitude of the resultant pull and its direction. The conversation ended with a clarification on finding the correct angles and components for pull B and C.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

Three horizontal ropes are attached to a boulder and produce the pulls shown in the figure.
1) Find x and y components of pulls A,B,and C
2) Find the components of the resultant of the 3 pulls
3) Find the magnitude of the resultant pull
4) Find direction of the resultant pull

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find x/y components of pull A, but I'm not sure how to do it for B and C. I tried using 80cos30 and 80sin30 for pull B but it did not work. Can somebody tell me what I may be doing wrong? And could someone explain how to approach part 2? Thanks!

Attachments

• phys.jpg
    phys.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,483
Physics news on Phys.org
matt72lsu said:
I tried using 80cos30 and 80sin30 for pull B but it did not work. Can somebody tell me what I may be doing wrong? And could someone explain how to approach part 2? Thanks!

Can you be a bit more specific about what component you associated with 80cos30o and 80sin30o? Then I can tell you what you did wrong.

As for part 2, once you do part 1 correctly, all you have to do is add all the x-components together to get the x-component of the resultant and add all the y-components together to get the y-component of the resultant.

for x component i used cos and for y component i used sin. when i put in my answers it said to check my signs. so did i do it correctly and did not put neg. x component and pos y component (since x lies on the negative x axis)? and would i do the same for pull C? I hope that is more specific for you. thanks

Perhaps the easiest way to explain this is to note that when you write the x-component of vector V as

Vx = V cosθ

angle θ is always measured with respect to the positive x axis. This will automatically take care of the positive and negative signs. In this particular case, since vector B points "up" and "to the left", it must have a positive y-component ("up") and a negative x-component ("to the left"). Vector C points "down" and "to the left" which means that both components are negative.

So, first you need to find the angles that the vectors with respect to the positive x-axis, then find their components as I have indicated. Can you do that?

Oh so you wouldn't use 30 degrees for pull B? How could I find that angle in this case?

Start on the positive x-axis and move in a circle counterclockwise until you get to vector B. By how many degrees did you move? Hint: It is 90 degrees to the y-axis, so ...

120?

Correct. Now you can calculate the components of B. What about vector C?

Thanks! I will try it after class and see how that works for me.

so i just want to check and make sure i understand: for pull b i'd just use sin/cos (120) x 80N? so for pull c would it be 143 degrees? do u add 53 to 90 since it is 90 degrees from the y axis? once i find all three pull components, i'd just add all the x components and y components to each other to find the resultant components, correct? Thanks so much

Ok so I got pulls A and C but B is still giving me trouble. Any help would be appreciated.

Start at the positive x-axis and go counterclockwise all the way to vector C. Since you have to cross the negative x-axis, the angle should be greater than 180o.

Pull B: 90 degrees + 30 degrees=120 degrees
X- component: 80cos(120)=-40.0 N
Y- component: 80sin(120)=69.28 N

Pull C: 180 degrees + 53 degrees= 233 degrees
X- component: 40cos(233)= -24.07 N
Y- component: 40sin(233)= -31.95 N

Hope this helps... ^_^

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector.

2. What are x and y components of a vector?

The x and y components of a vector are the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector, respectively. They are often referred to as the "legs" of the vector, and can be used to determine the direction and magnitude of the vector.

3. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is determined by calculating the length of the vector using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components of the vector.

4. How do you find the angle direction of a vector?

The angle direction of a vector is determined by using trigonometric functions, specifically tan-1(y/x). This calculates the angle between the vector and the positive x-axis.

5. What are some real-life examples of vectors?

Vectors can be found in many areas of science and everyday life. Some examples include displacement in physics, force and velocity in mechanics, and wind direction and speed in meteorology. They are also used in navigation, computer graphics, and in describing motion and forces in sports.