Calculating the Value of g on Earth's Surface

In summary: So, if the two equations are to be consistent, then the 'something' must be the same in both equations. In summary, there are two equations for calculating the gravitational force between two masses: Fg = (GM1M2)/r^2 and Fg = mg. In order for these equations to be consistent, the 'something' in both equations must be the same. Therefore, the value of g, the acceleration due to gravity, can be defined as g = (GM)/r^2, where M is the mass of the larger mass and r is the distance between the two masses. This definition can be used to calculate the value of g on the surface of the Earth, which is approximately 9.8
Teenytiny1991

Homework Statement

What is the value of g on the surface of the Earth in Newtons?

Homework Equations

Fg=G M1M2/R^2
SumF=ma
I'm not sure which formula to use?

The Attempt at a Solution

i think its (9.80m/s^2)(5.98x10^24)= 5.8604e25 (what does the e on my calculator mean, is this how i would write the answer? something doesn't seem right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Teenytiny1991 said:

Homework Statement

What is the value of g on the surface of the Earth in Newtons?

The quantity 'g' isn't measured in Newtons. It's an acceleration. So, at least part of this question doesn't make sense.

Teenytiny1991 said:
Fg=G M1M2/R^2
SumF=ma
I'm not sure which formula to use?

You know that, close to the surface of the Earth, it's a pretty good approximation that the weight of an object (i.e. the force with which the Earth's gravity pulls on it) is given by:

Fg = mg​

where 'm' is the mass of the object, and 'g' is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

But you also know that, in general, the gravitational force between two masses M1 and M2 is given by Newton's Law of Gravitation:

Fg = (GM1M2)/r2

where 'r' is the distance between the two masses. This second formula applies generally i.e. it is true in all situations. In our situation, one of the two masses is the object of mass 'm', and the other mass is the Earth, whose mass we will label 'ME'. Therefore, we can re-write this formula for our situation as:

Fg = (GMEm)/r2

Now, if the second formula is always true, and the first formula (mg) is true when the object is close to the surface of the Earth, and both formulae are giving the gravitational force of attraction between the object and the Earth, then they must both be equivalent, right? Does the fact that these two formulae for calculating Fg must somehow be reconciled give you a hint as to what the defintion of 'g' must be?

Teenytiny1991 said:
i think its (9.80m/s^2)(5.98x10^24)= 5.8604e25 (what does the e on my calculator mean, is this how i would write the answer? something doesn't seem right.

Umm...you are using the value of g (9.80 m/s2) in order to try and calculate the value of g! Does anything about that strike you as logically inconsistent?

EDIT: In this context, the letter 'e' is calculator shorthand for "times ten to the power of.' For example:

4.6e5 = 4.6 x 105

So you are saying it doesn't matter which formula I use, because they both answer the same question. so it would be Fg= (5.98x10^24)((6.67x10^-11)=3.99x10^14

Teenytiny1991 said:
So you are saying it doesn't matter which formula I use, because they both answer the same question. so it would be Fg= (5.98x10^24)((6.67x10^-11)=3.99x10^14

No, I'm saying that since they both calculate the gravitational force on the object and are both true (near the surface of the Earth), then you should be able to compare them directly. After all, Fg = Fg. From that it will become clear how g must be defined if the two equations are to be consistent with each other.

Hint: both equations are of the form Fg = m*(something).

Last edited:

What is the value of g on Earth's surface?

The value of g on Earth's surface is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This is commonly denoted as g = 9.8 m/s².

How is the value of g calculated on Earth's surface?

The value of g on Earth's surface is calculated by dividing the Earth's gravitational force by the square of its radius. This results in the equation g = G * M / r², where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the radius of the Earth.

Does the value of g vary on different parts of Earth's surface?

Yes, the value of g can vary slightly on different parts of Earth's surface due to factors such as altitude, local geology, and the Earth's rotation. However, these variations are very small and do not significantly affect the overall value of g.

What is the significance of calculating the value of g?

The value of g is important in understanding the force of gravity on Earth's surface and its impact on objects and systems. It is also used in many scientific calculations and experiments, such as determining the weight of an object or predicting the motion of objects in free fall.

How is the value of g measured on Earth's surface?

The value of g can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as pendulums, accelerometers, and gravimeters. These instruments measure the acceleration due to gravity and can provide an accurate measurement of g on Earth's surface.