Openness of continous real valued functions

• Thread starter muzak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: You can use the formula d(p,q) = sqrt{(a-x_{1})^{2}+(b-y_{1})^{2}}. Now I just have to choose an arbitrary point (a,b) in the ball with that center and radius, and show that it is also in the set of (x,y) that when added together is greater than 0.But how do I do that if they're just two variables...In summary, we have to prove that the set S = {g in X: g(t) > 0 for all t} is an open subset of the set of continuous real-valued functions on [0,1]. This can be done by taking an arbitrary g in S and
muzak

Homework Statement

Let X be the set of continuous real-valued functions on [0,1]. Prove that S={g in X: g(t) > 0 for all t} is an open subset.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of taking an arbitrary t[itex]_{0}[/itex] in g and another function f that is also continuous on [0,1], then finding a radius r > g(t[itex]_{0}[/itex])-f(t[itex]_{0}[/itex]) and making the open ball or tube or whatever with that radius about the function g. Somehow I feel that this is incorrect though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mohaque! :smile:

You have the right idea. Take an arbitrary g in S. You must find a radius r such that [itex]B(g,r)\subseteq S[/itex]. So you must find r such that all f with d(f,g)<r, have f>0.

The thing is, you can't just choose [itex]t_0[/itex] and take [itex]r>f(t_0)-g(t_0)[/itex], because
1) your r must be independent of f
2) your r must be good for all t.

So, how do we choose r? Well, why don't we take the minimal value of g?? Why does a minimal value exist?

Ahh, I don't know how to choose r. In a continuous function, within a local interval, there will always be some max and min. I don't understand why we would take the min. Shouldn't we take r to be the max of the absolute value of whatever the max and min values may be of g? So that if we chose that as r, it'll contain the entire function? I don't know if you understood that.

I guess example-wise, if g in [0,1] has a local max of 2 and local min of -1, shouldn't we take r to be 2 because that way it'd include both the local max and min? Forgive any bad wording on my part and feel free to correct me.

mohaque said:
Ahh, I don't know how to choose r. In a continuous function, within a local interval, there will always be some max and min. I don't understand why we would take the min. Shouldn't we take r to be the max of the absolute value of whatever the max and min values may be of g? So that if we chose that as r, it'll contain the entire function? I don't know if you understood that.

I guess example-wise, if g in [0,1] has a local max of 2 and local min of -1, shouldn't we take r to be 2 because that way it'd include both the local max and min? Forgive any bad wording on my part and feel free to correct me.

But there is no reason to do that. The funciton will be in our ball automatically. Indeed every g is contained in the ball B(g,r). We only need to choose r small enough so that no functions outside S come in our ball. So, we need to find r such that for all f in B(g,r), we have f>r.

The maximum value of g doesn't matter here. It is the minimum value that matters.

I got it, sort of. Was easier to understand it with a picture, has to be the min so that when you make that the r, it doesn't go below the zero line since that'd put it past the boundaries. Is there some graphing posting option here? Would be great if there was, seems kind of necessary as well here.

I have another question, to test the if something (lets call it T) is closed, should I let some S be the open set that is the complement of T and make an open ball in S and check to see that it is open with another arbitrary point in that ball in S? And because that arbitrary point was not in T, but was in the open ball, the complement of the open set which contained that ball would be the closed set, T.

If that is the right way, I was wondering if you could perhaps show me a few examples of such things, like how to go about doing the proof for with with specific cases. I can think of how to do it with the d(x,y) stuff but it somehow doesn't feel right because that seems like a general case and doesn't seem to be appropriate when given some specific closed set with some real numbers as boundaries and whatnot. I can't seem to find any good examples in my analysis book that I have, there are only the definitions/theorems and one or two simple non-helpful examples.

mohaque said:
I have another question, to test the if something (lets call it T) is closed, should I let some S be the open set that is the complement of T and make an open ball in S and check to see that it is open with another arbitrary point in that ball in S? And because that arbitrary point was not in T, but was in the open ball, the complement of the open set which contained that ball would be the closed set, T.

Yes, that's how we would prove closedness.

If that is the right way, I was wondering if you could perhaps show me a few examples of such things, like how to go about doing the proof for with with specific cases. I can think of how to do it with the d(x,y) stuff but it somehow doesn't feel right because that seems like a general case and doesn't seem to be appropriate when given some specific closed set with some real numbers as boundaries and whatnot. I can't seem to find any good examples in my analysis book that I have, there are only the definitions/theorems and one or two simple non-helpful examples.

You want some nontrivial examples of open sets? Well,

[tex]\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2~\vert~x+y>0\}[/tex]
[tex]\{f\in \mathcal{C}(\mathbb{[0,1]},\mathbb{R})~\vert~\forall x:~x<f(x)<x^2+1\}[/tex]

I meant how to prove that they're open.

But I guess for the first one, for some s=(x[itex]_{1}[/itex],y[itex]_{1}[/itex])[itex]\epsilon[/itex]S, you take r = (x[itex]_{1}[/itex]+y[itex]_{1}[/itex])/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then you have the open ball with that center and radius and you pick another point, say q=(a,b) within that open ball and prove that q[itex]\epsilon[/itex]S. Then for L symbolizing the line, we have

(x[itex]_{1}[/itex]-a)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-b)[itex]^{2}[/itex] < r[itex]^{r}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |x[itex]_{1}[/itex]-a| < r, |y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-b| < r
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] -r-x1 < -a < r-x1 or x1-r < a < x1+r and similarly y1-r < b < y1+r
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x1+y1-2r < a+b, then I get stuck. I don't know what to do after this. I know I'm supposed to get 0 < a+b to prove that it is in S, but I don't see how to get that from x1+y1-2r and r=(x[itex]_{1}[/itex]+y[itex]_{1}[/itex])/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

The second problem confuses me because in that interval, I think the radius is supposed to be the min of whatever function you choose to be arbitrarily in the set, say f. But then I don't understand what is supposed to happen next. We pick another arbitrary function, say g, within the ball created by the radius and that has to stay within the set, i.e.
x < g(t) < x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+1. I don't know how to go about doing this using math speak but I'll try.

|f(t)-g(t)| < r and |f(t[itex]_{0}[/itex])-g(t[itex]_{0}[/itex])| < r where t[itex]_{0}[/itex] is where f takes its min value.
f(t)-r < g(t) < f(t)+r and f(t[itex]_{0}[/itex])-r < g(t[itex]_{0}[/itex]) < f(t[itex]_{0}[/itex])+r
Then I don't know what to do.

Well, what is the minimum distance between f and [itex]x^2+1[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex]? Is that minimum distance nonzero? Can we take that as radius?

No, I guess not, I guess it has to be min of whatever f is closest to, either the x or x^2 +1.

1. What is the concept of "openness" in continuous real valued functions?

The term "openness" in continuous real valued functions refers to the property of a function to have an open graph. This means that the function has no breaks or jumps in its graph and can be continuously traced without lifting the pen from the paper. In simpler terms, it means that the function does not have any sudden changes in its values.

2. How is the openness of a continuous real valued function determined?

The openness of a continuous real valued function is determined by its domain and range. A function is considered open if it is defined for all real numbers and has an infinite range, meaning that it can take on any real value. This means that there are no restrictions or limitations on the function's input and output values.

3. What are the benefits of having an open continuous real valued function?

Having an open continuous real valued function allows for more flexibility and precision in mathematical calculations and analysis. It also allows for a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena, as many natural processes can be modeled using continuous functions. Additionally, an open function can have a wider range of applications compared to a closed function.

4. Is every continuous real valued function open?

No, not every continuous real valued function is open. A function can be classified as open, closed, or neither. A function is open if it has an open graph, closed if it has a closed graph, and neither if it has a mixed graph with both open and closed segments. For example, the function f(x) = x has an open graph, while the function f(x) = sin(x) has a mixed graph.

5. How does the openness of a continuous real valued function affect its differentiability?

The openness of a continuous real valued function does not necessarily affect its differentiability. A function can be both open and differentiable, open and non-differentiable, or closed and differentiable. Differentiability depends on the smoothness of the function's graph, while openness depends on the continuity of the function's graph. However, an open function is more likely to be differentiable compared to a closed function, as it has fewer restrictions on its values.