Detecting and demodulating a VCO which turns on and off constantly

• Thread starter JustNobody
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is working on a design project that requires ultra-low power consumption and the previous engineer used a MAX2750 chip with a "shutdown mode" and pulse with modulator to achieve this. However, the speaker is facing difficulties in designing a detector for a constantly turning on and off signal. The speaker is seeking assistance in finding articles or designing a demodulator for this type of signal. They also mention the use of VCO for transmitting on different WiFi channels and suggest using separate receivers or a wideband receiver for receiving.
JustNobody
All,

So I am working on a design project for a research group and their device requires an ultra-low power consumption. Previously, the design engineer before me has TRIED to resolve the issue as follows:

He has used a MAX2750 chip which has a "shutdown mode". He then fed the "shutdown enable" switch with a pulse with modulator. This way, the VCO is turned on and off constantly (the duty cycle is determined by the duty cycle of the pwm). The data is fed into the "tune" pin, but the data is only modulated when the "shutdown mode" is disabled.

My problem is as follows: How do I build a detector which can detect a signal that is constantly turning on and off. Is there any articles about this that someone can refer me to? Or maybe explain how I can design a demodulator that can find a signal like this?

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
JustNobody said:
All,

So I am working on a design project for a research group and their device requires an ultra-low power consumption. Previously, the design engineer before me has TRIED to resolve the issue as follows:

He has used a MAX2750 chip which has a "shutdown mode". He then fed the "shutdown enable" switch with a pulse with modulator. This way, the VCO is turned on and off constantly (the duty cycle is determined by the duty cycle of the pwm). The data is fed into the "tune" pin, but the data is only modulated when the "shutdown mode" is disabled.

My problem is as follows: How do I build a detector which can detect a signal that is constantly turning on and off. Is there any articles about this that someone can refer me to? Or maybe explain how I can design a demodulator that can find a signal like this?

Thanks,
So this VCO is used for transmitting on different WiFi channels, right? The simplest way to receive would be to have separate receivers running on each of the available channels at the same time. A harder way would be to use a wideband receiver that can phase lock to the received signal in some reasonable amount of time. If the transmissions are short, though, you will probably need to use the separate receiver approach.

What is a VCO and how does it turn on and off constantly?

A VCO, or voltage controlled oscillator, is an electronic component that produces a frequency output that can be controlled by an input voltage. It turns on and off constantly because the input voltage is constantly changing, causing the frequency output to vary.

Why is it important to detect and demodulate a VCO that turns on and off constantly?

Detecting and demodulating a VCO is important because it allows us to accurately measure and manipulate the frequency output. This is crucial in various applications such as wireless communication, radar systems, and frequency modulation.

What are the common methods for detecting and demodulating a VCO?

There are several methods for detecting and demodulating a VCO, including frequency detection, phase detection, and amplitude detection. Frequency detection involves measuring the frequency output directly, while phase detection looks at the phase difference between the VCO output and a reference signal. Amplitude detection measures the amplitude of the VCO output and can be used for FM demodulation.

How do external factors affect the accuracy of VCO detection and demodulation?

External factors such as temperature, noise, and interference can affect the accuracy of VCO detection and demodulation. Temperature changes can cause the frequency output to drift, while noise and interference can introduce errors in the detection and demodulation process. Therefore, it is important to carefully design and calibrate the detection and demodulation circuit to minimize the impact of these factors.

Can a VCO be used in both analog and digital systems?

Yes, a VCO can be used in both analog and digital systems. In analog systems, the VCO output can be directly used as a frequency signal. In digital systems, the VCO output can be converted into a digital signal through a process called analog-to-digital conversion, allowing it to be processed and manipulated by digital circuits.