Is it okay to use dot/cross for free radical rxns

• Thread starter Inertia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary, the dot/cross method is a widely accepted and safe method for representing free radical reactions. It helps to clearly illustrate the movement of electrons and is commonly used in textbooks and research articles. While there are other methods for representing free radical reactions, the dot/cross method is the most commonly used and understood by scientists. It is applicable to all types of free radical reactions and is used in industry and real-world applications such as in the production of plastics, synthesis of pharmaceuticals, and other chemicals.
Inertia
I'm learning about various radical reactions, the thing is I'm still getting my head around 'half arrow' mechanisms. However for some reason the dot and cross model for these types of reactions is really intuitive and works great for my understanding. Is this a dangerous path to go down, to work out half arrow mechanisms?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've not heard of the dot and cross model, can you explain a bit? If you are comfortable with 2-electron mechanisms using arrows, you should be able to easily transition to the 1-electron version for radicals. Maybe you need some practice?

Related to Is it okay to use dot/cross for free radical rxns

1. Is it safe to use the dot/cross method for free radical reactions?

Yes, the dot/cross method is a widely accepted and safe method for representing free radical reactions. It is commonly used in textbooks and research articles.

2. Why is the dot/cross method used for free radical reactions?

The dot/cross method is used because it helps to clearly illustrate the movement of electrons in a chemical reaction. This is especially important in free radical reactions where the movement of electrons plays a crucial role.

3. Are there any alternative methods for representing free radical reactions?

Yes, there are other methods such as curly arrow notation and electron flow diagrams. However, the dot/cross method is the most commonly used and understood by scientists.

4. Can the dot/cross method be used for all types of free radical reactions?

Yes, the dot/cross method is applicable to all types of free radical reactions, including addition, substitution, and elimination reactions.

5. Is the dot/cross method used in industry and real-world applications?

Yes, the dot/cross method is used in industry and real-world applications such as in the production of plastics and other polymers. It is also used in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals and other chemicals.