Torque with Pulley and Hanging Masses

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving torque and the difficulty the speaker was having with understanding it. The problem asked to calculate the acceleration and speed of two masses connected by a cord and passing over a pulley. The speaker struggled with the concept but was given helpful tips on how to approach the problem, including using the right hand rule and treating the pulley as a uniform disk with an effective mass.
latitude

Homework Statement

We've just started Torque and I hate it, just to let everyone know. Can't wrap my head around anything remotely three dimensional.

Anyyyyway.

A 15 kg object and a 10 kg object are suspended, joined by a cord that passes over a pulley with a radius of 10 cm and a mass of 3kg. The cord has a negligible mass and does not slip on the pulley, which rotates on its axis without friction. The objects start from rest 3 m apart. treat the pulley as a uniform disk, and determine the speeds of the two objects as they pass each other as prescribed, below.
a) Calculate the acceleration of the two masses using Newton's laws in order to determine their speed when the meet.
b) Calculate speed directly using conservation of energy.

Homework Equations

T = r x F
Summation T = Ia (angular acceleration)
I for Disk = 1/2Mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have very little idea what to do, but this is what I've done so far for (a)

Isolate mass One
Fnet = -ma
Ft - mg = -ma

Isolate pulley
Summation Torque = Ia
I = 1/2Mr^2
= 1/2(3)(0.1)^2
And then I honestly don't know what to do :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Begin with the forces that the weight of the masses places on the pully. Use the right hand rule to get the signs correct: (Make a fist with R-hand and with thumb extended. A force twisting around your thumb in the direction of your fingers creates a torque in the direction of the thumb. So if you draw the pulley on paper laying flat on your desk and with up being positive the the left mass will pull the pulley CCW which is a + torque and the right mass pulls the pulley CW which is a negative torque.

Now you'll need to write down a bunch of equations but remember both masses accelerate at the same rate (but in opposite directions) and that will also relate to the disk. Remember the angular acceleration times the radius gives the tangential acceleration. (Again using a right hand rule to get the signs right or [itex] \vec{a} = \vec{\alpha}\times\vec{r}[/itex]).

You should be able to relate all three accelerations using this and then as well the forces and torques. With both sets of equations you'll be able to solve for the magnitude of a.

Last edited:
Okay... well I got 89 m/s ^2 for ang. acceleration, which doesn't seem logical to me, but it makes the tangential about 8.9, which is okay, right? So maybe I did it correctly. Thanks for all your help

Here is a trick to help solve the problem. The pulley will have an effective mass equivalent to the point mass you need to place on the edge to give it the same moment of inertia:

Note that [itex] T = r\times F = I\alpha[/itex] so
[tex] r\times m_{eff} a = I \alpha[/tex]
or
[tex] m_{eff} r\times(r\times \alpha) = I \alpha[/tex]
or with angular acceleration orthogonal to r:
[tex] m_{eff} = I/r^2[/tex]
In this case the effective mass of the pulley is then half its actual mass.

Then you can treat the problem as if you had a massless pulley and the effective mass attached to the cord (but never acted on by gravity).

What is torque with pulley and hanging masses?

Torque with pulley and hanging masses is a concept in physics that relates to the rotational force applied to a system that includes a pulley and hanging masses. It is a measure of the tendency of an object to rotate about an axis.

How is torque calculated in this scenario?

To calculate torque with pulley and hanging masses, you need to multiply the force applied to the hanging masses by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What factors affect the torque in this system?

The torque in this system is affected by the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied. These factors can increase or decrease the torque in the system.

What is the purpose of using a pulley in this scenario?

The pulley is used to change the direction of the force applied to the hanging masses, making it easier to lift heavier loads. It also helps to distribute the weight of the hanging masses evenly, reducing the strain on the system.

How does the mass of the hanging masses impact the torque?

The mass of the hanging masses affects the torque by increasing the force applied to the system. The greater the mass, the greater the force, and therefore the greater the torque. However, the distance from the axis of rotation also plays a role in determining the torque, so a heavier mass at a shorter distance may have the same torque as a lighter mass at a longer distance.